12. Warming Up

-Nic-

-Nic-

I could not believe it, not even with Jax sitting right in front of me. He'd agreed to go out with me. I mean, I had lost all hope already. I had been just about to pay Caleb and be done with the bet. After getting my neck burned and Jax had continued being hostile to me last Monday, I had decided to quit. At that moment, I had given up for my own sake. My mental health couldn't take the constant physical and verbal attacks.

But here we were, eating pizza, and Jax seemed... almost friendly. I finally felt like I had a connection with him. I finally felt like he was opening up to me.

I... couldn't believe it.

"So... Is there something I could ask about you?" I asked.

He squinted his big eyes at me. "What do you mean?"

I shrugged. "You don't like talking about your personal things, and I get it, don't worry, but is there a topic you don't mind talking about?"

He smiled at me. It was a sarcastic smile. "Makeup," he said, clearly believing it was something I'd refuse to talk about.

I didn't actually mind, and I was desperate for any chance to get him to like me, so I pressed my elbows on the table and gave him a curious look.

"Oh, yes, you're always wearing makeup," I said. "I have to say, your makeup is always on point. You're doing it way better than most of the girls I've met."

That wasn't even a lie.

He was unamused. Of course he was.

"I've had a lot of practice," he just said.

"Is it for your image or do you actually enjoy using makeup?" I asked, trying to keep my expression as neutral as possible so he wouldn't get angry again.

He tilted his head a little, taking his time with the reply. That alone told me he enjoyed wearing makeup, but he wasn't sure if he should admit it. But he was hesitating! That was a huge step forward!

"You don't have to answer me, of course," I said quickly to release him from the pressure and focused on my pizza.

"I... enjoy it," he finally said in a quiet voice. That was a victory on its own, but then he went ahead and added, "I like trying new hairstyles, too."

"Really? How come I've not seen any other styles?"

"Guys don't curl their hair," he said and grabbed a slice as well.

"Honestly? If you curl your hair, no one would say a damn thing about it. You're too scary to be teased," I told him with a chuckle, but for some reason, he wasn't amused.

Far from it. He looked at me slowly, a hint of something negative in his eyes. Like I'd hurt him with my words. Then he looked at his food again.

"True," he only said.