31. Not Quite Right [M]

-Jax-

-Jax-

The dress was ready.

Annamarie walked into the living room with a proud smile on her face, stopping to watch us for a dramatic pause. One by one, as the others noticed her, they turned to look at her in silence.

"It is done," the woman declared.

I stood up, feeling surprisingly nervous. Nic was the first to follow me when I followed Annamarie. He took my hand in his and gave me an excited grin, which turned my nervousness into giddiness.

We entered Annamarie's showroom, where the dress was waiting for us in the middle of it, dressed on a mannequin. I stopped to stare at it. There was no sign it had ever been taken apart. I couldn't see a single butchered seam or a piece of yarn sticking out. When I walked around it, the widened backside looked like it was supposed to be like that, with two pieces of new fabric on both sides of the zipper.

"You did such an amazing job," I told Annamarie. "Thank you so much."

She bowed at me a little. "I'm glad to hear that. And it was an interesting task. Why not try it on so we can see the result?"

I nodded but took another moment just to stare at the dress. My dress...

My dress.

Carefully, Nic and I undressed the mannequin and took it to the changing room. My emotions were all over the place when I put it on. I kept my back turned to the mirrors. I stared at the wall in front of me when Nic slowly pulled the zipper all the way up. I didn't feel one bit uncomfortable in it. It... It fit me perfectly.

"It looks so good on you," Nic said, his gaze traveling on my body. "It fits you perfectly now."

"Yeah?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah. Here – look," he said, nudging my arm to turn around.

I let out a silent breath, not really understanding why seeing myself was suddenly such a big deal. It couldn't be that different. I turned around slowly, still not quite facing the mirror at first, but when Nic stood behind me, wrapping his arms around my stomach and resting his chin on my shoulder, I finally found the courage to see it.

I stopped to stare at myself.

It was a perfect fit now. There were no saggy bits, no bursting seams, no tightness. It followed my not-so-curvy body like it was always meant only for me. And it looked good. Like, really good.

"You're so hot," Nic muttered and kissed my neck. "You make it look so good on you. I never thought a guy could make a dress look so good."

"Thanks," I whispered back. "I... I'm actually surprised by how well it suits me."

"You were meant to look good in pretty clothes," he purred.

I snorted lightly in amusement, then carefully touched the dress. "It is really pretty..."