22. Night Out

-Jax-

-Jax-

Nic fell asleep almost immediately after we went to bed. I was not entirely surprised by that since the guy was the manifestation of exhaustion, but I'd feared he was too worried about how things would go between his parents to get any sleep. He did wake up a couple of times during the night, but it didn't take more than thirty minutes until he was sleeping again.

And in the morning, he looked much better. He still had a long way to go before I could say he was back to normal, but he was less anxious and scared. And he would get back to normal. I was not going to stand aside and watch how that bastard destroyed such an amazing guy.

He was my boyfriend, and I was not letting him suffer any longer.

After we took our separate showers and got dressed, Nic called his mom. Everything seemed to be all right with her, but apparently, Mr. Gabriel had stormed out of the house not long after we left and hadn't returned yet. It didn't sound like Mrs. Gabriel cared much about that. I had the feeling things were not settling down between them anytime soon. Or at all.

Nic clearly had the same thoughts after he ended the call and just stared at the dark screen with dead eyes. I felt bad for him, but he was better off without his father unless the man was willing to make massive changes in his behavior and put his priorities in the right order. I was not rooting for him, and I much rather not have seen Mr. Gabriel in Nic's life ever again, but... if Nic wanted to give him a chance... That was his choice.

But for now, I just wanted to make him feel better.

"So she is all right?" I asked to gain his attention.

"Yeah... Dad's not home, though..."

"Yeah, I overheard that part," I said as I sat down next to him. "Does she... want you to come home?"

"She asked if I could stay here for another night, in case Dad... I don't know..." he muttered.

"Of course you can stay here," I said, wrapping my arm around his shoulders. "I think it's for the best. You should stay with us until things calm down."

"Shouldn't we ask your parents first?" he asked, finally looking at me.

"Oh, don't worry, they rarely say no to me," I said with a smirk, earning a short laugh from him.

"I do believe that," he said, and pecked my cheek. "So, we're going out tonight? Are you still going to bless me by wearing that sexy, sexy skirt?"

I laughed at his words, happy to see his mood getting up. "Well if you put it like that, I don't have any other choice."

He wiggled his eyebrows at me. "You look so hot in it."

I shook my head in amusement. "I'll wear it, don't worry."