20. Rebellious Teen

-Nic-

-Nic-

I felt great when I left Jax's place. I was still feeling good when I started driving. But when I was halfway to home, my mood dropped, and it dropped fast. By the time I parked my car in front of my home, I felt nauseated, especially when I spotted my father's car close by.

I didn't want to go inside. He'd want to hear how much progress I had made, and demand to know where I had been, and why I was wasting my time and not studying.

With a heavy sigh, I got out of the car and walked to the front door. I carefully opened it and listened to the sounds in the house before stepping in. There was no one around to see me, so I quickly sneaked up the stairs, heading to my room.

I didn't make it that far.

"Nicholas."

I suffocated a sigh and turned around at my door. Dad walked up the stairs, giving me a stern stare.

"I thought I heard your car," he said. "Where have you been? It's late."

"I was at the library," I lied with a smile. "Studying, of course."

He stopped in front of me, crossing arms over his chest. "Really? I spoke with your teacher, and he said you're not doing well at all."

"I have no idea what he's talking about," I said. "I've done all my homework. I've done everything he's asked during classes, and–"

"According to him, your attitude has changed. You don't focus, and you look tired. He suspected you're not getting enough sleep. Does that mean you're sneaking out? Staying up late playing games?"

"No, I'm not," I said, trying not to show him my annoyance. "I just have trouble falling asleep."

"Then you should stop using your phone so much. You're also spending way too much time watching television. I haven't seen you exercising, either. I suggest you start jogging. An hour every evening should be enough to help with your... sleeping problem."

I conjured a fake smile on my face. "Absolutely. I'll try that. Now I have to get–"

"Not so fast. Tomorrow, I will take you to my tailor after school. You need a new suit for the annual celebration," he said.

"I can't, I already–"

"Whatever plans you have, reschedule them. This is far more important. I can't have you showing up to the most important gathering of the year wearing rags," he said.

"There is still plenty of time before the celebration. I already have plans for tomorrow, so I can't come," I said sternly, but he snorted at me.

"I cleared my schedule for this, and you know how busy I am. You can see your friends another time," he said, and turned his back on me.