14. Truths Come Out

-Jax-

-Jax-

For a moment there, I thought Nic was ditching me. A stupid thought, I was aware of that, but I was happily using my trust issues card. Obviously I should've waited for him by the entrance, but I hated it when people stared, and now they stared ten times more because of Nic.

I glanced at Nic when he started driving. He was in a better mood now, according to that big fat smile on his lips.

"So! Any ideas where we should go?" he asked me when he noticed me staring.

I shrugged. "You're the one who asked me to hang out with you."

"We can just drive around," he said, turning his attention back to the street. "Just let me know when you get hungry – I'll buy you whatever you want."

I snorted quietly. "I can buy my own food, thanks."

"Nah, then it wouldn't be a date."

"People can pay for their own food even on dates."

"So we're going out on a date, then," he said, peering at me with that smug, victorious smile on his face.

I closed my eyes and sighed. "People can go grab food without... Whatever..." I muttered, slouching back against my seat with heat rising on my cheeks.

He smirked and nudged my arm with his elbow. "I'm kidding," he said. "I wouldn't mind calling it a date, but I'd rather not push your buttons today. Well, too hard."

I frowned at him when he turned to pay attention to driving again. He still seemed a bit tired.

"So what? We're just going to drive around for hours, grab something to eat and then...?" I asked tentatively.

"And then we continue driving around," he said with a shrug.

"Don't you have better things to do?" I asked.

"Do you?" he asked, and I did not miss the fact he didn't answer me.

"Not really," I said, taking a good, long look at him.

I was not one who liked to share my thoughts – or anything, really – with anyone, so I did consider not pushing the topic, but I was getting curious.

"You're avoiding something," I guessed. "Or someone."

His expression dropped immediately. He only glanced at me and quickly conjured a fake smile on his face.

"I'm avoiding homework," he said with a smirk.

I left it at that. I didn't really care what he was avoiding now that I knew he was indeed avoiding something. And I had a pretty good guess who it was.

We drove around for a while without saying anything. I stared out of the window, watching the people and the city as we passed through it. Nic had stopped faking a smile a while back, and his expression stayed blank. He didn't seem to even remember I was there. I wondered why he'd insisted on hanging out with me if he wasn't in the mood to hang out with anyone.