21. Snitch

-Jax-

-Jax-

I never should've bought that damn skirt. Because of it, I had barely seen Nic in the past week. His father had been furious that he chose to come with me to the mall instead of going to buy the suit with him, so he was grounded. He was still grounded. I wasn't sad that I couldn't hang out with him after school, no. I was, however, fucking furious that Nic had to spend his evenings with that fucker of a father of his.

And it was bad. Every day, whenever I saw Nic at school, he looked worse and worse. He was tired. He looked so bad even his teachers were visibly worried. After one of the classes we shared, Nic had to stay behind so our teacher could exchange a few words with him. Nic acted all happy and cheerful, but he wasn't fooling anyone.

I asked him why he wasn't telling the truth, and his short answer was, "What's the point?"

I knew what he meant by that. His father blamed Nic for his troubles, claiming all his issues were his own doing. TV, phone, not enough exercise, staying up too late, sneaking out... Never stopped to think that maybe he was killing his own son with completely unnecessary stress and pressure. He wouldn't listen to Nic's teachers. He was never going to take their concerns seriously.

So, I did what a good boyfriend would do.

I didn't actually have a plan when I arrived at Nic's mansion late at Tuesday night, but after having to spend the entire past week stewing in my boiling anger, I wanted to murder people.

And I was going to start with Mr. Gabriel.

I rang the doorbell, taking in deep breaths in hopes of keeping myself from exploding right then and there. As the moments went by, my need to brutalize the doorbell grew unbearable, but I kept myself in check.

Finally, the door opened, and the lady of the house, Nic's mother, stood behind it.

"Hello?" she said, keeping a polite smile on her face.

I smiled back at her, knowing she would slam the door shut if I blew up on her.

"Hi! I'm Jax, Nic's friend at school. I was..." Going to murder your husband? "I just wanted to come check up on him," I said, hoping I'd get invited in if I acted like a concerned friend.

"Oh, you're Jax?" she said, peering at my flashy hair and spiked clothes. "Nic has mentioned you before."

"Yeah... He's been looking really sick lately, so I wanted to see how he's doing," I said.

"That is sweet of you, but you have nothing to worry about. He's not actually sick, he's just had trouble sleeping lately," she said in a friendly manner, but it was clear she was concerned.

"I know. He sometimes comes to my place so he can sleep because he's too anxious to close his eyes in his own home," I said before I could stop myself.

"What?" she breathed out with a frown. "Why would you say such–"