The Coldest Nights

Hi guys, sorry it's been so long. Quick reminder that if you want me to write anything specific, send me a private message or just comment on any of my stories. Trigger warning for depression and suicide in this story <333

*************************************************************************************************Anthony Edward Stark was, in his own words, a genius. He was also a billionaire, playboy and a philanthropist. Every room he walked in to was taken aback by his confidence and his charming smile that he could switch on in seconds to achieve whatever he wanted to. He was a superhero, he had a wonderful kid, a great group of people that he was privileged enough to call his family and he was happy. Or, at least, that was what he led people to believe.

"Dad?" There was a sharp knock at the door as Tony lifted his heads from his hands slightly. He was sat on the floor, legs pressed against his chest as he hugged them close to his body. "Yeah?" He managed to croak out a reply, though his voice was hoarse from crying. "Uncle Steve wanted me to tell you that there's a family movie night in the lounge and it's starting now." Tony sighed inwardly, knowing that if he didn't at least show his face then people would suspect something was wrong and the last thing that Tony wanted was for people to worry. Especially about him.

Clambering slowly to his feet, he padded towards his ensuite bathroom where he proceeded to splash some cold water in his face. Tony opened his bedroom door, the effort was beyond exhausting. His dark eyes were barely open as he furrowed his brow and began to traipse towards the living room, where all of the Avengers were sat waiting for him. As soon as he stepped into the room, an excruciatingly large smile flashed across his face. "Jesus, you look like hell, Tony." Steve remarked softly as soon as his friend's bloodshot eyes and pale face came into view. "You're looking pretty rough yourself, Rogers. Too long in the ice, methinks." Tony retorted sarcastically without missing a beat. "Come on, old man, take a seat." Natasha laughed at the pair and began helping herself to some popcorn. "Save some for the rest of us, Nat." Clint interjected, grabbing a handful before she could stop him.

"Heads up, Dad!" Peter yelled at his father, throwing the television remote in his direction. Tony, who was too dazed to react, watched as the remote hit his shoulder and fell to the ground. "Guess old age is slowing you down." Clint remarked and Tony smiled as he reached down to grab it, "something like that." He mumbled, wincing slightly as his sleeve rubbed against a fresh mark upon his arm that he had inflicted previously that evening. "Anyway, guys, I have to go." Tony announced, standing up and chucking the controller back to his son. "What, why?" Peter demanded but Tony just laughed him off. "I have loads of work to do, Kiddo." He lied, raking a hand through his dishevelled hair. "Oh ok." Peter replied sadly, filling Tony with a surging wave of guilt. "Night, Tony." A few members of the Avengers called after him as he headed back to his room.

Lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling, Tony blinked back tears. He was a terrible father and a terrible 'hero'. Reaching for a bottle on his bedside table, he struggled with the cap for a moment before a small white pill fell into the palm of his hand. "I don't want to do this." Tony whispered to himself, his breathing was shaky and irregular. Placing the pill back in the bottle, Tony rose to his feet and headed into the lounge once more. Unsure of who to turn to, he simply looked in Steve's direction and Captain Rogers suddenly sensed that something was wrong.

Standing up and quietly excusing himself, as not to draw attention to Tony, Steve calmly walked towards his friend and pulled him into the next door room. "Are you alright?" He asked immediately but all that Tony could manage to do was shake his head. "What is it?" Tony, without words, handed the pill bottle to Steve and rolled up his sleeves. "Jesus Christ, Tony." Steve breathed out, tears springing to his eyes at the sight of his comrade in so much agony. "I'm so tired, Steve." He whispered, his head hanging slightly in shame.

"I know, I know, it's alright. Come here." He pulled Tony into a hug and there they stood, in a amicable embrace, until, a little while later, Tony pulled away. "I need help."
"Ok, I can get that for you." Steve smiled gently and Tony looked relieved.
"I don't want anyone to know, especially not Peter." "There's nothing to be ashamed of, Tony, you know that."
"I know but I don't want anyone to worry. Promise me that this will stay between us?" Tony begged and Steve nodded slowly. The only thing that Steve Rogers cared about was his friend feeling better, the aftermath of his healing was something that they could deal with later.

"There's a woman I know, Caroline Mercer, who helps with this kind of stuff. I can make you an appointment to talk to her." Steve told Tony and the latter nodded slowly, clearly too exhausted to do much else. "Do you want to watch the rest of the movie with us?" Steve asked and Tony, deep in thought, nodded. "Come on, everyone's missed us, I'm sure."

Heading back into the lounge, they were greeted by oblivious smiles and cries of, "hurry up! You're missing it!" Even though Tony felt as though he was falling into an inescapable pit, he knew that he was always going to have a family to catch him. All he had to do was say the words and they'd come running. And, in Tony's mind, that was better than any pill.