Chapter 41: Answers

The ding of the elevator indicated Mara's arrival. She stepped out and walked along the cells. She wasn't sure in which one they had kept Whitehall, so she had to check each one. Good thing there were only ten cells.

She made it to the eighth one. Bingo. She stood in front of the glass and looked into the cell where she saw a dishevelled-looking Whitehall. He noticed her arrival and looked up with a big grin on his face.

Mara internally grimaced at the sight, as he had clearly taken a beating and now had dried blood on his face.

"My dear Frost. Am I glad to see you here." He spoke in his smug voice. Mara simply stood there without saying a word. She watched him carefully, noticing that previous attempts to get him to talk obviously came up empty. But at least they tried.

She grabbed a chair from another room and sat down in front of his cell. "You have always been my favourite soldier. So strong both mentally and physically." He spoke.

"How did I end up in Hydra?" Mara asked.

"Well, it is very simple. We took you in after your parents died." Mara stared at him with a blank face. She knew they took. Her after her parents' deaths, so this was no new information.

She decided it was worth a gamble and asked: "How did they die?"

"A car accident" Whitehall replies. She was surprised that he actually gave her an answer. She thought he would just lie or not speak up at all.

"How am I supposed to know if that's the truth?" She asked in a monotone voice, not showing him any emotions she was feeling right now.

"You can find the information if you search for it in the right places. But I figured it was time for you to know the truth, I just didn't want to tell an Avenger." Whitehall shrugged.

Was he messing with her right now? She wanted to get to the bottom of this, even if he was lying.

"Why do you want to tell the truth now? Why not tell me sooner?"

"I did not want to tell you sooner, because you needed to be my perfect weapon and I did not want you to get distracted by the truth."

"And what is that truth?" She questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Pjotr Morozov is not your real father. I am." he said. Mara could have sworn her heart stopped right there and then. Her mind was racing so fast that she could hardly process what he just said.

"Wh- what?" She managed to say. Whitehall just nodded. "You need to tell me everything right now before I put a bullet in your head. And don't even think about lying because I will know." She threatened.

Whitehall sighed. "Your mother was an agent for Hydra. A very skilled one at that. Her and I were seeing each other outside of work. One day, she told me she was pregnant and I was furious. I saw children as a potential weakness and I could not have any weaknesses." He started. Mara was just trying to understand any of what he was saying.

"I was not supportive at all and told her to get an abortion. She refused and left me soon after for a man named Pjotr Morozov." Mara nodded along with what he was saying. She still could not believe that the horrible man in front of her was her father. She would have to ask Tony or Bruce for a DNA test.

"So how did they end up dead and leaving me with Hydra?" She asked, leaning forward in her seat to pay closer attention.

"Soon after you were born, we found out that Pjotr was a mole and used your mother as a way to get into Hydra without suspicions. We had to take care of the situation, so we waited for both of them to get into their car and crashed their vehicle."

"But why would you kill my mother when my dad was the mole?" She asked in a confused and slightly frustrated tone. He could have spared her so Mara would at least have a mother.

"She had to be punished for her failures. My only regret from that night was when we found out you were in the car as well..." He spoke softly whilst looking down to the table he was sitting at.

It all made sense now. Mara looked at her right leg, where her prosthetic was located. "Is that why I have this?" She asked as she pointed to her leg.

Whitehall nodded. "We were able to save you, but not your leg. So I made sure you had the best prosthetic that would not make you feel like a handicapped person."

It was almost sweet, until Mara remembered he deliberately took her parents away from her. Yes, both of her parents, because even though Whitehall was her biological father, he sure wasn't the one who accepted her to begin with.

She nodded at him and made her way upstairs to her room, where Natasha was waiting for her. Mara became mad, thinking that Natasha probably knew something about her parents and that's why her and Steve were gossiping about her.

"I know what you're hiding." She spoke in a stern voice, looking disappointed at her girlfriend.

"Mara I can explain... We only made out a few times. It meant nothing to me." Mara opened her eyes wide at the redhead's answer.

"Wait, what?!"