The Suspicious Love Interest

They marched down the mountains and Jiang Cheng is following them silently observing his surroundings. He was feeling a little nervous and he started fiddling with his ring an heirloom his Mother given to him which he kept with him all the time, it brings comfort on situations like this.

Suddenly they stumbled with two disciples one is clearly injured and Lan XiChen immediately helped them, taking them to safety and inspecting their wounds.

"Zewu-jun! They are still there! The feral corpses are endless! They are trying to get past the first barrier"

"Make sure to go and check your wounds, some disciples are on their way as well, let's go" Lan Xichen gave the two a reassuring pat on the should before proceeding at the foot of the mountain.

They headed down the mountains where they saw the commotion, several Lan disciples were fending off the corpses the others are tending to the injured ones and Jiang Cheng stared at scene before him.

Holy shit.. They look gross and this is exactly like how zombie movies are filmed, it reminds him of Wei Wuxian who liked this genre. "Do they die if you hit them in the head?" he asked and Lan Jingyi gave him a weird look.

"Yeah?"

"A gun would be really useful right now" he muttered.

"You are talking nonsense" Lan Jingyi huffed before pulling out his sword. Jiang Cheng took a step back seeing that the attention of the remaining corpses is directed towards them.

"I'll help the injured ones to hide in a safe place, I'm not gonna get in your way so if you could just cover.." Jiang Cheng looked around "That would be great"

Lan Xichen nodded and gathered the remaining disciples, Jiang Cheng walked to one of them who was bleeding badly from their leg. "Alright hold on to me ill take you behind that big rock there to hide"And so he started to lead the injured disciples away from the battlefield, he held someone who had difficulty of walking and the others followed him as they reached a reasonable distance, hiding behind the rock he helped them sit and started tending on their wounds, while doing so he couldn't help but remember which part is this from the book because he cant remember this scene! AT ALL.

From what he recalled Lan Xichen returned with Meng Yao on his arms after they got ambushed and he was forced to return to Cloud Recesses, from that moment onwards he didn't leave his side. He stayed there until Meng Yao recovered so why this happening now?!

Jiang Cheng returned to the field seeing that most of the injured disciples had been taken care off he sighed, gripping his sword he trotted back to where the battle is coming from, with some distance he saw Lan Xichen fought gracefully and Lan Jingyi is also not falling behind as he sliced and paved his way towards their enemies, Jiang Cheng couldn't move and decided to keep some distance because really he knew he would be just in the way.

But he did knocked a few corpses earlier, disgusting as it might be he pretty much have no choice. From the corner of his eyes he saw a corpse heading straight to Lan Xichen, his defence on the back is wide open for attack.

"Lan Xichen!"

Jiang Cheng moved his feet and sprinted towards Lan Xichen shoving him out of the way, the corpse was able give a light scratch on his arm. He and Lan XiChen tumbled on the ground and Lan Jingyi immediately eliminated the corpse.

Jiang Cheng looked down at Lan Xichen as they rolled on the ground and he looked around with a small frown "So.. How is this gonna end? Cause they seemed keep coming back"

Lan Xichen stared at him for a moment "Thanks.. Well I supposed we need to find the one sending them out".

They both stood up and now Jiang Cheng is mixed inside the battlefield, holding his sword as he fought his way with Lan Xichen beside him.