A parting gift from the ex love interest

Lan Xichen stared at the note that was on his palm before crushing it, he had a little difficulty sleeping thinking if he should comply with this request or not. He is aware that it could be a trap and yet he still somehow believes that perhaps Meng Yao really wanted to talk to him. Either way Lan Xichen wanted to get answers, regardless if this meeting is a trap or not he needs to make his move.

A sigh escaped his lips as he looked at the magnolia tree. The meeting place was located on a hill near Caiyi town, it had a good view of the city. Lan Xichen recalled that he had bought Meng Yao here once, it was during the time when their friendship was blossoming. It's probably why Meng Yao chose this place to meet up with him.

His ears picked up the sounds of footsteps and he turned around to see the man who he once considered to be a companion. There was a tired smile on his face as he approached Lan Xichen but Lan Xichen couldn't be bothered with any pleasantries.

"What do you want to say?"

Meng Yao chuckled as he arrived "You must have really hated me to forgo any formalities"

"My apologies, should I have greeted the person who poisoned my friend?" Lan Xichen asked, the corners of his lips slightly curled.

"...." Meng Yao observed him for a moment "There's something different about you.." He murmured before looking away. "It's fine, I don't have much time anyways"

Lan Xichen blinked after hearing that comment and frowned, he must be really angry to forgo any formalities, regardless of his anger Lan Xichen is usually composed and rational. As part of the teaching of his sect yet he could not help the overflowing anger and disappointment he felt towards this man. He could even feel his hand shaking the more he looked at him and heard the silent whisper in his ear.

Kill him.

The moment that thought crossed his mind Lan Xichen immediately looked away.

" What do you need, Meng Yao?"

" Do not involve yourself to Jiang Cheng"

"Excuse me?"

Lan XIchen is baffled, how dare he say something like that?

"What nonsense are you–"

" He is someone you should not involve with, you will be safe if you stay away from him"

"What do you mean?" Lan Xichen asked as he took a step forward waiting for Meng Yao. He came here to get some information such as who were the people behind this plan, Is it only the Wens? what is the ritual for and why do they need him for it and lastly why they shifted their target to Jiang Cheng.

Meng Yao seemed to contemplate answering his question and Lan Xichen frowned. "If you can't answer my question then this conversation is pointless"

"I am not allowed to say much, just .. they will stop going after you now"

"They are going after Jiang Cheng now? Why? Who are these people, Meng Yao?"

Although he already knew that the Wens were involved from what he read in the book he still wanted to confirm it directly. Lan Xichen could see that the other man became even more anxious as he looked around, he tried opening his mouth to say something but he seemed to have difficulties doing so, he immediately closed his mouth and clicked his tongue in annoyance. It was strange to see him like this when he is usually composed. Lan Xichen realized that someone must be observing him. He suddenly recalled that the main reason Meng Yao worked for these people is because his mother had been held captive and even by the end of the book he did sacrifice himself for Lan Xichen, whether that was intentional to fully awaken this so called curse or not he was someone who did love him at some point.