When the roles are reversed

Jiang Cheng left the hanshi looking for Lan Jingyi to deliver the chicken dish he promised the boy the last time they talked; thankfully, he found him heading in his direction, carrying some scrolls with him. His mood immediately lightened the moment they saw each other.

"Senior Jiang! You are back!" He greeted him with a bow.

"Yes, of course, and oh, before I forget, I brought you these." He handed him the lunchbox that Jiang Yanli prepared this morning, "Chicken."

His eyes widened as he carefully took the lunch box before looking around and then back to Jiang Cheng. "We aren't really allowed to eat .. uhm, well, you know how our food is here" he sighed.

"Don't worry kid, I won't tell anyone, take it to your room and eat it secretly no one would know.. Also, is that for Lan Xichen?" He gestured at the scrolls he was carrying, and Lan Jingyi nodded. "Give me that, I'll bring it to him then so you can have your food."

"I did not expect you would really bring me food" he murmured.

"You better be thankful" he chuckled, taking the scrolls with him. Once he had them securely on his arms, Lan Jingyi started inspecting the container.

"Thank you, Senior Jiang. Well, how could I ever repay you for this?"

Jiang Cheng pondered for a while before he made a small hum, glancing down at the younger Lan. "Hm. How about telling me what's happening here lately while I was away?" Jiang Cheng crossed his arms.

"Rumors are not allowed."

"It's not a rumor, we are talking and sharing a topic about something that already happened."

Lan Jingyi regarded him for a moment, then glanced down at his lunch box before he sighed, "Fine, well nothing major, Hanguang-Jun left, I think he isn't done with that task the elders gave him... Hmm, other than that, everything is quite fine, same as usual."

"I see.." Jiang Cheng hummed.

"Oh, I did overhear Senior Meng Yao and Sect Leader Nie arguing two days ago, I didn't stay long, but it seems to be about you and Zewu-jun," Jingyi added offhandedly while sealing the lunch box again.

Jiang Cheng frowned, giving Lan Jingyi a look. For someone who did not want to share a rumor, he surely does have a loose lip. Anyway, those two argued about him and Lan Xichen? Well, now that sounds truly intriguing. "You mean Nie Mingjue had been here for a week?"

"No, not quite... He returned to Qinghe when you left that day. Seems like an emergency, and then he returned the next day and stayed two more nights, then left again, after that argument."

"Where is he now?"

"I haven't seen him."

"Alright.. Thanks, Jingyi." Jiang Cheng gave his shoulder a small pat. That was enough information for now. It's really a good thing to have some eyes here while he's away, the chicken is definitely not a bribe.

Jiang Cheng turned back to the direction where the Hanshi was, but before he could arrive, Lan Xichen was already walking outside and smiling at him.

"Jiang Cheng" Lan Xichen greeted.

"Hey, uh, I have these scrolls I saw Jingyi on his way here and took them. Where are you heading?"

"Ah, I have to attend a meeting." Lan Xichen regarded him for a while.

Jiang Cheng nodded and waved his hand. "I'll just bring this to your room then."

Lan Xichen frowned at the response, but it was too quick to catch as he smiled at him, reaching out to squeeze his shoulder. "Thank you, Jiang Cheng. I'll go now; I will visit you once it's done."