Chapter 22

I was running and running, my pursuer behind me. I could practically feel his breath on my neck. I could hear the crunching of the twig and soil from under me, some sticking into my bare feet, but I kept running and running.

I reached the sea, but there’s nowhere to run to anymore, and I’m standing there, panicked.

Suddenly, I’m looking up at the night sky as hands wrap around my neck, squeezing tightly. I grab my attacker’s arms, trying desperately to get them off. I feel hands go tighter as they try to keep the air from coming into my lungs. My legs are kicking the sand from under me, but my attacker is straddling me and I can’t do anything.

Somehow, by some miracle, I’m able to get out from under him. I cough and hold on to my neck, but I know he’s still there. I run into the sea, the waves crashing into my clothes.

The smell is odd, and the sea feels thick. It takes me a few yards out to get realize what the smell and thickness was.

Blood.

But it was already too late, I was drowning. My legs and arms were being pulled down under, and my lungs were burning as they filled up with the thick, red blood. I flayed my arms up and down, kicking the hands off, trying to reach the surface. I could see the moon, meaning I was so close to the surface, when someone grabs my throat again from up above, and I’m held down into the sea of blood.

I struggle and struggle, jerking my body to each and every direction as I tried to scratch at my attacker, but I could do nothing. The blood filled my lungs, a burning sensation filling up my body, and I felt my strength give way, my arms and legs going limp.

The last thing I see with my already blurred vision are the white eyes of my attacker as I drift off.

Marcus was looking for something to give Lia to eat for dinner. Suddenly, he felt distress and fear that wasn’t his, coming through the bond.

“Marcus!” Caesar called out to him.

He immediately made his way to Lia, who was leaning forward, coughing and grasping at her neck. He knelt beside her, and she flinched at his touch.

“Lia, what happened?” He cupped her cheek as she looked at him with wide, crazed eyes, her body trembling.

She had tears in her eyes, going down her cheeks, and sweat rolled off her face.

“I’ll see if there’s some tea or hot beverages,” Emery said. She rolled up her blanket and stood, walking past her mate.

Marcus stood, and lifted up his mate, thankful that she didn’t flinch from his touch. She leaned into him, although she was still trembling, her eyes were unseeing though it was wide open, as if in utmost fear and panic. He sat down on her chair and placed her in his lap, cradling her.

“It was just a nightmare, sweetheart,” he whispered into her temple as he traced circles on her arm.

She shook her head as more tears flowed down her face. Her body trembled, the terror fresh in her mind. She clung on to her mate, seeking comfort, seeking warmth to drown the utter coldness that she had woken from. Marcus whispered soothing words to her.

Soon, Emery came back with a mug in her hands, still steaming hot.

“Luckily, they had some lady’s slipper. It helps with nightmares.” Emery handed the mug to Marcus before taking a seat once again, putting the blanket over herself.

Marcus took a sip, and Caesar squinted his eyes at him, “Are you—”

Marcus scrunched up his nose, swallowing the liquid. “It’s too hot.” He stuck his tongue out and put the mug down, letting it cool. He focused on his mate, who was trembling a little less than moments before. Her nightmares scared him, they had died down considerably after the Change, but before then, he had to hold her for several moments to help her back to sleep. This would be about the seventh or eighth time it had happened.