Chapter 16

Lia checked her appearance in the mirror, making sure she looked her best. She wore a pencil skirt, a long sleeved red floral blouse, with ruffles at the chest, made of a light, flimsy material, and a belt to cinch her waist. She wore her red heels, and a black leather strapped watch. Her hair was tied into a high ponytail to expose her face with light make up.

It was great to be going back to work.

It had been about three days since Marcus left for Goddess knew where, and she felt the desire to return to work. She had asked Elise about it, and the good woman was kind to have work for her to do, thank the Goddess. She’d reached the point in the books where they had talked about the more mundane years, and she was not up to reading that just yet. Besides having to read the books, she’d spent time with the four children that had grown close to her heart.

Grabbing her red handbag, she made her way to the dining room, where most wolves were already at.

They all abruptly stood as soon as she entered, with a simultaneous, but not in unison, greeting of “good morning, Luna”. It shocked her for a moment, but she quickly recovered, replied in kind and told them all to get back to what they had been doing.

She made her way to the head of the table, pausing when she saw Sophie—more specifically, Sophie’s brown boots.

“What is that hideous combination?” Lia stared at her sister’s footwear. “I am ashamed.”

Of course, Sophie knew not to take it personally, but it did alarm her. “What about it?”

“Black with red polka dota, and tights, and brown boots? What has the world come to?”

Will, who has his arm around Sophie’s chair, went back to eating once he had bowed his head .to his Luna, with a smile on his face at the exchange of the sisters, which was mirrored by those around them.

“Black or red boots, Sophie, black or red.” Lia said, continuing her walk to the head of the table.

Lia nodded and smiled at those who bowed to her, with a small wave or so to those she had more than one conversation with. Like Lorraine, Maggie, Steven, and Nolan, all seated near the head of the table.

She placed her bag on Marcus’ seat and sat down on her chair. As usual, there was an array of food set out in front of her, for the leaders of the pack.

“Elise left already?” Lia asked as she filled her plate.

“As usual,” Nolan replied, not looking up from what he was reading.

Lia paused. “Aren’t you supposed to be with her or something?”

“I placed Clyde in charge of that. Steven will be heading out with you today, along with Owen and Lincoln,” Nolan replied looking at her, jerking his head to Steven who was seated beside him.

“Oh, joy,” Lia drawled and continued to fill her plate. She wasn’t looking forward to the protection detail at all.

Breakfast had been generally uneventful, with little chatter here and there. Lia checked her watch and decided it was time to go. She stood, and so it was the cue for Steven to leave. He stood up as well and kissed his mate goodbye before following Lia, who had already made her way towards the door.

The red SUV seemed to be out of the question, and so they got into a black sedan, which Lia remembered was the car Marcus had used when they had dinner together for the first time. Lia sat at the back with Steven, while Taylor sat in the passenger’s seat and Lincoln drove.

“We’ll be at the coffee shop across the street, with the car.” Steven began to brief her on details about her security.

He handed her a box. “Take this… uh… charming necklace.”