Chapter 19

They were leaving for the Sessimonium in less than a week, and Lia was eating everything for the Change—the moment of when it would happen still escaped her. Lorraine had told her to eat a lot of carbs and meat, though the doctor, herself, didn’t know what exactly Lia was shifting into, it was not her place to question—she’d be finding out soon enough.

“Why am I eating so much, Marcus?” She asked dully as she took another bite of the burger.

“Because you need the energy for when you undergo the Change,” Marcus whispered into the crown of her head. He was rubbing circles on her stomach, inhaling her scent.

“Stop that!” Lia slapped his hand away, covering her stomach.

It was night time, and they were currently in their room—his room—watching a movie on the couch. He sat leaning his back on the crook between the arm rest and the back rest, with her between his legs, her back to his chest.

“Anyway, don’t you have work?” Lia mumbled, turning her body slightly.

Ever since she had told Marcus that she’d be undergoing the Change, he hadn’t let her out of his sight—even going to the bathroom was weird, cause she’d have to constantly reassure him that she hadn’t collapsed in the bathroom and drowned or something. She had to take a sick leave from work (seriously, she was going to lose her job like this). It was a two day sick leave, and she thanked the fluidity of her job because she could work from home after those two days.

“I finished them a while ago,” he said, his attention to the TV. They spent nearly the whole day in his office—she read the previous and current treaties while he worked on trying to maintain them. “But I have to read some memos, I’ll work on them later.”

Lia yawned. “Okay. It’s getting late, we should rest.” She leaned into him a bit more instead of getting up, closing here eyes.

Marcus looked at his phone watch. “Alright, go ahead, you need the rest.” He frowned when he realized that she was already asleep.

It would start tomorrow.

Lia woke up with a massive headache. She took three deep breaths before turning over, propping herself up and waiting for the contents of her stomach to rise up, like she felt it would.

“The Change’s started,” Marcus said, standing next to her with a look of sympathy. “You’re not going to throw up, but it’ll feel like it the whole day,” he went to her and picked her up off the ground.

She whimpered as he laid her down, while still holding on to her. An ache suddenly settled itself all over her body. It was then that it registered to her that she was looking at the blue sky. There was a blanket beneath her, though she could still feel the hardness of the ground.

Her back arched and her jaw clenched as waves of pain went through her. She was panting when it subsided. The heat on her skin was becoming unbearable. “It’s so hot.”

“It’s normally like that, Lia,” he whispered, kissing her temple.

She was in sweatpants and a loose black shirt, which had hiked up a bit due to the spasms. He pulled the shirt down as she gripped his arm.

“You can sleep for a while, Lia,” Marcus whispered. “The spasms won’t come back for at least another hour or so.” He stroked her hair as she snuggled closer to him.

He felt relief when she was lulled back into sleep a few minutes later—it pained him to have to watch her go through the Change, and if anything could make the day go faster, it would be sleep. He took the small towel beside him and wiped the sweat off her face, being careful not to be too rough.