Chapter 1

“Henry! Come on! The truck’s ready!” Lia called as she took one last look around the homey, Bohemian styled house, tugging on her white shirt, wiping her sweaty palms on her cut off jeans.

This was it.

They were really leaving.

“Sophie!”

“We’re going, we’re going!” Henry shouted as he came down the stairs, his big body making his steps heavy.

“Did we pack the albums?” Sophie asked from the room upstairs.

“Yes, we did,” Lia replied. “Now, will you please come downstairs already? The Neesons are moving in later today, and I want to be gone by then.”

They couldn’t bear to part with the house, and so they had simply put it up for rent, with the simple conditions that no part of the house was to be renovated.

Henry watched his sister from the doorway, her waist length raven hair tied up as usual, contrasting from her pale skin, and her blue eyes were starting to mist with unshed tears. He looked away, allowing her that one moment of weakness. She had been strong too long, and he hadn’t seen her cry even once since their parents had died four years ago.

“Sophie! If you don’t come down this moment--”

“Alright, alright!” The younger girl replied, coming down the stairs, her steps light.

“What in the world took you so long?” Lia scolded.

“Just wanted to have one last look at mom and dad’s room,” Sophie whispered.

Lia smiled sadly, and gave her sister a hug.

“We’re really leaving,” Sophie whispered into her as Lia rested her chin on her head.

“Well, I’m sorry that you can’t back out now,” Lia replied.

“I don’t want to stay here while you leave! No, I’m not regretting the decision that we’re leaving with you,” Sophie replied. “It’s just that this house holds so much memory and it’s a shame to part with it.”

“You’re right,” Lia said.

“But, unfortunately, we have to.” Henry interjected. “Now, are you two done with being sappy? The truck driver outside looks extremely impatient.”

The two sisters rolled their eyes and separated, heading to the doorway.

They all turned before closing the door, taking one last look at the interior of the house. The last four years had been a challenge.

Lia continued on with her schooling, plus got jobs so that they wouldn’t have to use the money their parents had left them. She had had to sell some paintings of hers, and sell her car, using her dad’s instead.

Henry had to do some major changes, too. He had to help out around the house as much as possible, foregoing the football team, taking on summer jobs—because Lia didn’t allow him to take on jobs during school—and made sure that Sophie was well cared for. He worked harder for college, trying to get a degree in Civil Engineering.

They all headed to the red SUV, getting one last look at the house before leaving, heading to the pack house to say their farewells to the Alpha and Luna. Lia hadn’t wanted to do it, but it was their last duties as pack members.

“Are you really sure about this, Henry?” Alpha Johnson said, looking at Henry sternly.

“Absolutely, Alpha,” Henry replied.

Alpha Johnson gave Lia a look that made her feel uncomfortable, but she dared not show it. He had never been able to accept that fact that she was human, unlike her father, who was Beta and her mother, who was his youngest sister. Henry had turned down the post because of her, it made her feel terrible, but it also gave a her a sense of security that he would do that for her. She was also happy that he wouldn’t have to be bound to this pack, who had given her a hard time after their parents’ deaths.