Chapter 21

They left for Spain two days after Lia’s Change.

“Sweetheart,” Marcus said, going down the stairs. “I don’t think that your bag should be this heavy, I’m sure you’ll still go shopping there.”

Lia scoffed. “I’ve never been abroad!” She was standing on the landing, excited to leave. “What if I need my skin doesn’t agree with the weather? I need my skin care stuff. What if it’s really cold? I need my jackets and coats.”

“We can get them there, I’m sure,” Marcus said, stepping unto the landing, putting down her luggage.

“Yeah, but that’ll just make us spend more money,” Lia reasoned. “It’s not economical. And if I happen to buy something, baggage allowance doesn’t actually matter because it’s a private plane.” She smiled at the last bit, tiptoeing to kiss him, giggling when he pulled her closer.

“Okay, break it up, sissy,” Sophie said as she went down the other staircase.

Marcus just chuckled at Lia’s blushing face. She still wasn’t very comfortable with public displays of affection, and he found it quite amusing. Lia stuck her tongue out at her sister, while Sophie just rolled her eyes.

“Want anything from Spain?” Marcus asked as the two made it to the landing.

“A hot Spanish man shall do,” Sophie said, looking thoughtful.

“I heard that,” Will growled as he made his way down the stairs, carrying his and Sophie’s bags. It was Friday, and they had school.

“I was just joking,” Sophie giggled, rolling her eyes. She came went to hug Lia and whispered, “No, not really. Take lots of pictures.”

“I heard that, too,” Will let out a low rumble.

Sophie laughed but said nothing further. She hugged Marcus goodbye as well, and then she and Will walked to the dining area, where a bunch of the other teenagers had already gathered, getting ready to leave for school.

Elise came down as well, dressed in casual clothes. Nolan, Steven and Elise were all in charge while Marcus and Lia were away.

“You two better be careful,” Elise said as she slowly made her way down.

Two guards came in, Lincoln and Taylor, and took their bags. They were bringing with them four guards, just to be safe. Four guards were also the maximum number allowed by the Council.

Elise cupped her son’s face, rubbing his cheeks with her thumbs. “The Sessimonium can become very political, and you’ll have to play it smart.”

“We’ll be fine, Mom,” Marcus smiled. “Lia’s with me.”

Elise sighed. “I know, but that can make this whole thing all the more complicated, so you need to be careful, alright?”

“Seriously, Mom, I’ve been to the Sessimonium before,” Marcus assured her. He kissed her cheek, giving her a hug. Before pulling away, he said to her, “It’s going to be alright. Just take care of things here, and leave things to me and Lia.”

Lia looked up the staircase. Her new senses had, at first, been overwhelming, and, even now, a lot of things caught her attention. It took all her focus to not lose track of things. “Where’s Henry?”

It was Clyde who answered her, “he’s probably still asleep, Luna. He was training with Steven until pretty late last night.”

Lia’s eyebrows furrowed. “What’s he doing training?!” The overprotective, micro-managing sister in her came out. “He should be focusing on school.”