Chapter 20

Marcus looked at the woman who stood in the field. Her skin was shiny with sweat, her shirt clung to her skin, and a part of it was torn, when she had clawed at it from the heat. She took in a deep breath, throwing her head back as she let out a breath.

“Just as I thought,” she said. “This air on this side is… refreshing.”

One by one, they were all compelled to kneel on one or both knees, head bowed, but the Alpha in Marcus was able to resist—the kneeling, not the bowing. He had told the pack what to expect beforehand, right after the sun had set. To say that they were shocked would be an understatement, but they all respected and trusted him.

“Alpha Baron,” the Moon Goddess called out to him. Even if it was Lia’s voice, he felt nothing towards her, except for awe, and rightful divine reverie.

“Yes, Goddess?” He replied, not daring to look up.

“This is a good pack you have here,” the Goddess said and Marcus could hear the smile in her voice.

Pride washed through Marcus as he smiled at the Moon Goddess. Of course he knew that he managed the pack well. They weren’t great in numbers, but the quality of life that they had here was something that he could boast about to other packs out there. The affirmation from the Moon Goddess herself was the ultimate compliment, and he felt the pride from his pack through the pack link.

The Moon Goddess made her way to the crowd. “I see that Krysten Ray’s already settling in.” She knelt in front of the said girl. She touched her cheek, making the young girl look up at her glowing eyes. “I apologize for the childhood you have had to suffer through, my child.”

The young girl, though still remaining expressionless, softened her gaze. “It is alright, Your Holiness. I am who am I because of my past.”

The Goddess said nothing as she stood up once more, and looked around, addressing all of them this time. “Cerulean Pack Wolves, it brings me joy to know that you have accepted a Lion shifter into your midst.” She paused as she looked at each wolf in front of her. “I fear, however, that you will have to accommodate more races in the future we face.” She walked in front of the crowd, around the circle that they made. “This pack will see to the survival of the races.”

The silence that followed was poignant as the Moon Goddess walked, seemingly assessing each of the wolves in the area.

“This is not a request. This is my will, this is my command. I will to see that this pack becomes one that is open to all races, not just Wolves, not just Lions,” she paused, a smile lighting her face as headed back. “No. Even Faes, Vampires, Witches and Wizards, Bears—all the races will congregate into this pack—into this world. The races must unite, or survival is not guaranteed.”

She walked over to the teenage wolves, assessing each one of them.

“To the young Wolves of this pack, you will carry out this mission.” She sensed the fear that came from them. “You do not need to be afraid. While you may need to fight for this new world to succeed, you will always have me… and anyone who defies my will…” She trailed, a smile on her lips as they all imagined the consequences. “Defying my will aside…” she laughed, which sounded magical in their ears. “You will find that this new world, this new era is bigger than the world you know now—more fascinating, more varied.” She paused before continuing, finishing her assessment of them. “Look at me, all of you.”

Slowly, one by one, they all lifted their heads towards her. They couldn’t see her properly. The moon was behind her, and so all they could make out were her glowing blue eyes, for some, it was just her back.