Chapter 18

Lia stepped out of her room. She had gotten a message from one of the assistants that her client had cancelled the appointment for the day, and she had no idea what to do since it was a whole day appointment and she had nothing planned.

She wore something casual, a blouse with jeans and flats. She contemplated on going to the library to finish up on the historical readings, since she had gotten bored and skipped to the ones they had on the late 80s. But she didn’t want to do that on her day off, it was too much of a hassle.

Finally, she decided to spend the day with Spencer and Krysten. How she came to that conclusion, she didn’t know, but she did. Henry and Sophie had school, and Marcus would probably be busy, what with the rogues and all.

It was still early in the morning around seven, so a bunch of the students had all probably left for school already. Krysten wasn’t ready for school yet, so Marcus and I had talked about getting her someone to see what level she would be, and if she could even attend school. Psychological and physical abuse might not make her suitable for a school setting just yet.

She made her way downstairs to see what was being prepared for breakfast, and maybe even go and start her day with Krysten. She had found out earlier on that Krysten had the habit of rising early—no matter how late she stayed up. Her body had run under minimal sleep back in her old pride, or so she explained.

“Luna!”

Immediately, Lia’s eyes looked to where the exclamation came from. It was Jessica, the young woman in charge of the children. She emerged from the corner up the stairs, opposite of where Lia would often come from. Jessica looked especially alarmed.

“What is it, Jessica?” Lia inquired, concern filling her face.

Jessica made her way downstairs quickly, her black hair and cardigan flaring out behind her. “It’s Spencer,” she frowned. “He won’t come out from under the bed.”

Lia raised her eyebrows in alarm, her eyes widening as she did so. She nodded and sighed. “I’ll go speak with him.”

At the moment, it was up to Lia to deal with the issue. Marcus had business to take care of, and other people still didn’t know how exactly to treat Spencer. She herself had no idea, since she had little experience with kids, but it was sink or swim.

“You go and check on the other children, Jessica,” Lia instructed as they both made their way up.

They entered Spencer’s bedroom, a cosy room with blue hues. For now, Lia thought that it was very impersonal, not much toys, pictures or books. It was quite plain, but that would change in time. Spencer was still very new here.

“Spencer?” Lia called out softly as Jessica closed the door behind her, leaving them alone.

“I won’t come out,” a small voice squeaked from under the bed. “I want Mama to get me.”

Lia sighed as she knelt and looked under the bed, finding Spencer curled up in his blue onesie pyjamas, his back towards her. “Come on, Spencer. Get out from under there.”

“You’re not my Mama. I want my Mama.”

Lia’s chest clenched, and she couldn’t say anything in return. She wanted to cry.

After a few moments of not knowing what to do, Lia sighed and sat up. She went to the wall and leaned back there. How could she deal with a child? She wasn’t ready to have a baby, but here she was given a five year old child to care for.

She sighed, deciding to lie down on the floor just beside the bed, where she could see him. “You can stay there all you want, Spencer. And I’ll stay right here with you.” She didn’t know what he needed, but she sure as hell knew that it wasn’t to be alone.