Chapter 12

Despite every cell in his body telling him that he should attack, Nolan pushed back that instinct and stood his ground. He didn’t know what exactly it would mean if he attacked. He didn’t even have to consider that maybe, just maybe, the lion was just that, an overly sized lion. Normal animals would be wary of them, they wouldn’t be too friendly, much less confront them.

He’d heard stories, from a long, long time ago, told to him by his grandmother, about other creatures of the Moon Goddess. But they’ve never had communication with them, and contact with another species was practically zero in a lifetime.

It growled at them, slowly stepping forward.

Nolan started hearing the ripping of cloth and snarled. “Don’t attack.”

The lion stopped growling, but it was still in a tense position, ready to attack, eyeing each of them.

“We are not here to harm you, or the pride in which you belong to.” Lia said, her voice soft to promote the message of her words. “I would just like to meet your leader.”

Lincoln and Jace moved closer as a big lioness came running to them.

Jesus Christ, they were going to die.

Nervous as she was, Lia clenched her jaw to keep from screaming. She willed her body to relax to prevent it from shaking and she took deep breaths in an attempt to calm her heart.

The lioness stopped next to the lion, eyeing us as well.

“We would like to speak to your leader.” Lia said, surprised that her voice didn’t crack.

The lioness stretched, and her fur receded into her skin. Her muzzle receded as well, becoming more human. Joints and bones snapped into placed, until, finally, a woman stood before them.

Well, nudity was obviously not a problem for this species either.

“Who are you?” She said, her tone accusing. The woman had thin arms and legs, her hair and eyes were light brown.

The lion growled low before shifting as well. In his place now stood a man who had dark brown hair, just like the lion’s mane.

“You aren’t simply human, what business do you have here?” The man said.

“We are here to speak to your leader. Please, pass that message along.” Lia said as she kept her face unreadable. For now, she had no idea what would happen, and showing them that she was weak was definitely not an option.

They were silent for several moments, just staring at each other. Lincoln and Jace were jittery, while Nolan stood as still as a statue.

“What are you?” The woman asked.

“We’re wolves,” Lia replied.

The man stepped forward. “Our leader would meet with you, but understand that any suspicious movement will be regarded as a threat.” The man’s voice was low and menacing. “And threats will be dealt with accordingly.”

“Understood.” LIa nodded her head once.

“Follow us,” the man said, he turned around and started walking, the woman was slightly behind him.

Soon, a lion with a black mane and two lionesses came behind the group. If they tried to do something remotely suspicious, they’d be dead instantly.

The forest was mostly quiet, and the sounds of animals were at a minimal. The animals in this forest knew to keep quiet, or had already left. A pride ruled this forest.

Soon, they were in the part of the forest where the trees were tall and relatively wide apart. There stood a lion, his red mane was huge, making his body appear even bigger than it already was.