Chapter 5

“Lia?”

Lia looked up from her cubicle to see Elise at the doorway of her office.

“Is there something wrong?” Lia asked.

“None at all,” her employer replied. “It’s just that it’s quite late, and shouldn’t you be heading home?”

“I’ll just complete this design and another, and I’ll go home.” Lia replied, still pretty radiant, despite the fact that she was tired.

“Alright, then.” Elise replied as she stepped out of the office, locking it. “I’ll be going ahead, is that alright with you?”

“Yes, of course. You have somewhere to go to tomorrow, am I right?”

Elise nodded, carrying her hand bag on the crook of her elbow. “I’ll be home for dinner, so don’t forget, alright?”

Lia smiled as she saw Elise leave, turning back to her work.

After completing her current design, she yawned and stretched for a moment.

Marcus entered the top floor, intent on making Lia go home and rest. His mother had called him to inform him that his mate hadn’t gone home yet.

“Lia,” he called for her, but he couldn’t hear anything.

The lights were switched off, and the only light in the big room was in a small cubicle, where he guessed she was. He moved closer to it, hearing steady breathing. When he reached her cubicle, he saw her arms folded over the desk, her head resting there as she slept. He watched her for a moment, and contemplated on whether or not he wanted to wake her up.

She sighed, turning her head, and he was still until he was sure that she was still asleep. The air conditioner was still running, and he removed his suit jacket and placed it over her shoulders, deciding not to wake her. Her feet were bare, and her shoes were neatly placed beside her desk and her hair was neatly tied into a bun.

He grabbed a chair from the nearby cubicle and brought it just outside hers, he sat and watched her, loosening his tie and thinking of what Nolan had said.

“They have an odd scent, I’ve never encountered it before,” Nolan had said.

“Neither have I,” Marcus replied.

“They don’t have the scent of rogues, that’s for sure.” Nolan was lying down on the couch, facing Marcus, who was behind the desk of his office in the pack house.

“It’s like they didn’t exist before coming here,” Marcus contemplated. Her scent was even more unusual than the other two.

“Do you know which pack they belonged to before coming here?” Nolan asked as he repeatedly threw a paper ball in the air, catching it again and again.

“No, she didn’t say anything.”

Nolan sat up and narrowed his eyes at his cousin. “Is she your mate or somethin’? You’re unusually clingy to this woman, I admit that she’s pretty hot and all--”

A growl from Marcus silenced him. And Nolan’s eyes had widened.

“She is?! Holy shit, Marcus. That’s big news, that’s pack news. Have you told anyone?” The incredulous look on Nolan’s face made Marcus chuckle inside, and a smile managed to creep up his face.

“My mother and Steven, and now you. I don’t want this to be pack business just yet. I haven’t even claimed her--”

“Now that surprises me even more. You haven’t claimed her yet?” Nolan whistled looking up. “Moon Goddess, what has the world become?”