Chapter 3

Marcus stood there, dumbfounded.

She had rejected him.

“She… rejected… me,” his whispered, his shoulders drooping.

“Oh, don’t look like such a lost puppy,” Elise said, hugging her son. “You and I both know she did no such thing. She was probably just shocked.”

Her son stood frozen to the spot, the shock of finally finding a mate and being rejected too much.

“I’ll see you tonight,” he said, stepping out of her hug, his jaw clenched and his voice so dangerously low that it scared his mother.

How dare she reject him? The dominant side of him screamed at him to make her submit, to make her come to him, to make her be with him.

But he pushed that side back. He saw it in her eyes, vulnerability, and a sort of fear.

She was afraid of him.

“Don’t be too angry with her, Marcus,” Elise sighed as he opened the door. “There’s… something about her… You can sense it, too, can’t you?”

The question went unanswered as Marcus had already left.

Lia gathered herself in the comfort room, trying to calm the pounding in her heart and the overwhelming desire to run back to the man’s arms. She leaned on the sink and stared at her flustered self in the mirror, strands of her hair were out of place from the bun she had neatly made on top of her head.

She sighed.

She’d always heard of mates. She’d seen them in the pack, and they seemed to look at each other obliviously, as if they were the only people in the world. They looked to be so in love.

Once, before, when she had expected to shift, she had wanted that. She had wanted nothing but to look at her mate like how her parents looked at each other. Even after she hadn’t shifted, she still kept hope that maybe she had a mate, even when people had told her that it wasn’t possible for someone like her. Those dreams were shattered when her parents died, and she had Henry and Sophie to take care of.

No, she didn’t have time for a mate.

She didn’t need a mate.

Who’d want her as a mate anyway?

She was a human werewolf, practically useless and weak.

Lia stood there, trying to convince herself that a mate was useless to her at the moment, and in the future for that matter. She’d sworn off anything werewolf, and this was probably the worst thing that could’ve happened to her.

So why does my chest hurt so much?

No, mates brought trouble. Werewolves were so damn possessive and dominant, and that was the last thing she needed now.

But, maybe that would be nice.

No, stop it, Lia. You don’t have time for that. Henry and Sophie first, remember?

She sighed, and fixed her hair and dress, making sure she looked presentable before heading out the door.

“It took you a while.”

Before she could do anything about it she was pushed back into the comfort room and pinned against the wall, the door was locked and she was frozen, trapped again in his arms.

“Why’d you run?” He whispered, looking down at her, his arms around her waist, pushing her against the wall, she flinched, because of the bruise that was there.