Chapter 14

She’d already eaten, so why was she still feeling weak and dizzy?

Leaning on the wall for a moment to catch her breath, and gather her thoughts, Lia sighed. Somehow, her relationship with Marcus was becoming more and more difficult. She thought it’d be easier now that she’d accepted him, so what was holding them back?

She heard footsteps and stood tall, walking once again. But with werewolf hearing and sense of smell, she knew that it was futile to even try to get away.

“Luna!”

Lia smiled and turned. “Hey, Maggie.”

“How are you feeling?” The shorter woman smiled at her, beaming.

“I feel fine,” she replied, though it was a lie, because she didn’t really feel all that fine, with the headache and weakness. “You?”

“A bit disoriented from everything that’s going on, but fine nonetheless.” Maggie replied as they walk side by side.

“And Steven? I haven’t seen him in a long while,” Lia murmured, but she was sure that the other woman could hear her just fine.

“He’s alright, since he’s Gamma, he’s had to patrol every night.” Maggie sighed.

“Gamma?” Lia asked, she’d never heard of a position like that.

“Third in command, in charge of the security of the pack.” Maggie explained as they turned a corner. “Marcus has been on him about what happened the other day, so he hasn’t been home much.”

There were positions other than Alpha and Beta?

“Can you tell me more about these other positions?” Lia asked, she’d never heard of it before. Deciding that it made her sound ignorant, she tried to explain. “I mean, I, uh, came from this kind of pack, that, uh—”

Maggie smiled and cut her off. “A cascus pack, we know, Luna. The Alpha told us.”

Lia was stunned for a moment, and then she smiled. “Thank you.”

“First off, the Alpha and the Beta, the first and second in command, respectively, but it’s more like the Luna is second in command, but it’s more of a technicality, like how the Luna and the Alpha are two sides of the same coin or what not.” Maggie said, waving her hand in dismissal, she sucked in a breath and continued. “Third is the Gamma, in charge of security, plus the enforcement of the law within the pack, then the Delta, which is in charge of finances.” She breathed in again. “Then the Epsilon, which is in charge of the overall wellbeing of the pack, usually the pack doctor.” Maggie smiled, feeling accomplished, but her expression changed into a troubled one. Then her eyebrows rose as she remembered. “I nearly forgot the Zeta!” She rolled her green eyes and laughed at herself. “The Zeta is in charge of pack recreation, like get togethers and such, sometimes, though, they tack this on to the job description of the Epsilon, so sometimes, there’s no Zeta in a pack, but that’s usually for small packs.” She waved her hand dismissively again.

Maggie looked thoughtful for a moment, and Lia waited for her to continue, absorbing everything she said like a sponge. She felt a lot like a student these days, with the Moon Goddess’ sessions and now, trying to learn everything on how a pack works.

“I guess that’s the reason why cascus packs only have Alpha and Beta, besides the fact that these other positions were only made a century, maybe three, ago. In small packs there’s really no need to have so many leaders, since everything can pretty much be handled by the Alpha and Beta.” She shrugged, nodding at her own conclusion.

“Okay, so Marcus is the Alpha, Nolan’s the Beta, Steven’s the Gamma… What’s next?”

“Delta.”