Chapter 6

“Thank you very much for having us for dinner.” Lia smiled as they headed out the house.

“You’re quite welcome.” Elise smiled as she stood by the door.

“It was very nice to meet you,” Michelle spoke with a certain sparkle in her eyes, which made Lia slightly uncomfortable. Did Marcus say something to his aunt?

“We hope to see you soon,” Brandon smiled, a smile that mirrored Nolan’s.

Speaking of which, where was Marcus’ cousin? He was suddenly nowhere in sight when Lia and Marcus came back to the living area of the house.

“I had such a wonderful time, Aunt Elise,” Sophie said as she hugged the woman.

“Come back anytime, alright?” Elise said as she kissed Henry’s cheek.

“We’d love to,” Lia smiled sincerely.

“I’ll see you at work tomorrow,” Elise nodded as the group started to walk away.

“Would you like to drive?” Marcus asked as they headed to the car.

“Would I?!” Henry replied, excitement oozing off of him, and Lia had to smile at that.

They all entered the car, with Henry at the driver’s seat instead of Marcus, a wide grin on his face.

They returned to the city, mostly silent, the only exchange was between Henry and Marcus.

When they arrived outside the apartment, all of them got out of the car and headed up.

“Will Steven be here tonight?” Lia asked.

“Yes, I’ve asked him to be here in a while.” Marcus smiled, ‘til then, he’d be staying with them, and he hoped it took Steven a much longer time to get there.

Lia opened the door, and it took her a moment to notice that the three people behind her froze, becoming tense.

There was an odd scent in the apartment.

Something that Henry and Sophie had never encountered, but to Marcus, it was something he had learned to hate for far too long.

It was the smell of decaying bodies. Of death.

It made the three werewolves want to vomit. Sophie covered her mouth, and Henry and Marcus clenched their jaws. Lia, on the other hand, had no idea what exactly was going on.

Upon instinct, Marcus immediately pushed Lia behind him and searched for the danger in the room. Soon, the lights were on in the living room, and every room searched, with Lia and Sophie remaining in the living room. Lia waited, not knowing the danger at all, and Sophie, not knowing what to do, stayed with her sister.

Someone had been inside. She inhaled again. It wasn’t just one person. It was three. Three distinct scents, but yet they all had similarities about them.

‘Steven! Steven!’ Marcus called through their link as he and Henry searched through every room. ‘Get to Lia’s apartment, now! Tell Cam, Zen and Taylor, too.’

The scent was strongest in Lia’s room, which meant that they stayed there for a while.

Lia looked at Sophie. “What’s wrong?”

“There were people in the house. Werewolves.” Sophie whispered. “They smell like…” She took another whiff. “Spoiled food… Garbage… Decay…” The younger girl shuddered, slightly nauseated, swallowing the bile rising from her throat.

Lia rubbed her sister’s back, trying to reassure her, though she couldn’t find any words to tell her.

“It’s not strong, though, so they probably only stayed for a couple of minutes.” Sophie looked around nervously, trying to see if anything was missing.