Chapter 2

“Who was that boy, Sophie?” Lia said, breaking the very much poignant silence that was present in the car.

“Some punk,” was Sophie’s reply, looking out the window.

Henry and Lia made eye contact, already knowing what Sophie seemed to deny.

“What were you guys talking about?” Henry asked, looking at the rear-view mirror for a moment, before turning his eyes back to the road, his other hand on the gear stick.

It took Sophie a while to answer, hesitating. “He was telling me some outrageous thing.”

Knowing Sophie, who had a very ideal image of a mate in her head, Lia could imagine the conversation.

“Hey, I’m your mate,” the boy would’ve said, and Lia remembered that he was very muscular, which would’ve scared Sophie.

“That’s impossible!” Sophie would’ve shouted, because, well, this guy was definitely not her mate!

And the boy, who looked, by all means, quite possessive and dominant—the way werewolf males were—would’ve felt some tinge of his dominant side pushing him to make Sophie submit, and Sophie, who could be defiant in her own way, would’ve done something else, which would then have led to the scene that Henry and Lia had arrived to.

Lia bit her lip, trying not to smile. What a scene that would make.

“And what was this outrageous thing?” Henry asked, a hint of a smirk on his face, though inside, he was jealous. He had been looking for his mate ever since he first shifted, but he was genuinely happy for his sister. Now, all he—and Lia—had to do was to make her see.

“Nothing you need to know,” Sophie mumbled, before shifting to lean her head on the window.

Sophie had really grown out during the past four years. Her light brown hair grew longer, now becoming luscious curls around her face and down her back, and her face became more defined.

Lia glared at Henry from the corner of her eye and mouthed for him to stop, since they were near the apartment already. He parked the car in the building’s garage and they all headed up to their new home, which they had only moved to the day before.

The apartment they were renting was quite cheap, but still looked decent. The walls of the apartment were green, with the door frames brown. It was a moderate sized apartment, and it was all right for the three of them, with three bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room and a bathroom.

Sophie went to the kitchen and started to cook up a meal, which she had been doing for the three of them since she started high school, with Lia having to work and Henry having pack business to attend to.

“Shit!” Lia cursed as she opened the fridge. “I forgot to buy the milk!” She closed the fridge door and threw her head back in a groan. “I’ll head to the store for a while.”

Henry jumped, and so did Sophie.

“I don’t think you should be heading out, sis. Henry will buy the milk, right, Henry?” Sophie gave Henry a pointed look.

“Yeah, it’s just across the street, right?” Henry gave Lia a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. “I’ll be back before you can say ‘pigs water ski’.”

Lia raised an eyebrow at them. “You two don’t need to worry about me, I’ll be fine.”

“No, it’s cool.” Henry grinned nervously. “Besides, you should be resting right now. You should have a bruise with what happened this afternoon.”

“What’s going on?” Lia narrowed her eyes. These two were acting odd.

There was a knock on the door and Henry snarled in that direction, surprising Lia.