Chapter 16: Rewind

Dani and Geurim spent the last night messaging each other what their next plan of action would be.

Well, not the whole night.

The two girls accidentally got off topic and went on to talk about Pokémon games. Don't even ask them how they got to that point, they wouldn't know either.

Dani made sure to wake up early the next day so she can swing by the bakery. Geurim told Dani that she didn't have to do much for her to be friends with the boys again. However, that didn't sit right in her. She wanted to do something, at least. So, Dani asked what kind of baked goods the boys would want and Geurim gave her suggestions. So with determination, she strode to the bakery with a set plan in mind. (And hopefully not impulse buy herself her beloved melon breads).

With the ding of the door, Dani stepped inside the bakery, the delicious aroma awakening her body. The elderly owner peered up at Dani and beamed at her presence, in which the younger returned instantly.

"Dani-sshi, what a nice surprise! It's been a couple weeks since you last came here," the woman chimed as she approached her. "Luckily, I made a whole bunch of melon bread just a bit ago so they're extra fresh."

Dani was already drooling at the thought. It only gotten worse when the owner brought the full tray of the pastel green bread out for Dani to see. The sweet melon scent hit Dani's nose, and she swore... it was love at first scent, all over again.

"M-Maybe just one, then?" Dani chided as she plucked one bread with tongs and onto the plastic tray she held. "I have other bread to buy so I shouldn't overdo it, halmeoni."

Dani went around the shop and took the bread Geurim had said for her to get for each boy. She was thinking two treats for each of them, along with the extras for Geurim. She was then reminded of that one day; her eyes scanned the baked goods on display for the particular item. There it was, the cookies that Donghyuck said was his favorite. Dani grabbed one chocolate chip cookie to add to her pile before approaching the counter to pay.

"This is quite a lot, Dani-sshi," the owner blinked in surprise.

"It's for my... friends." Dani hurried to take her wallet out before elder can spew out how she'll let her take the bread for free. The high schooler pursed her lips before continuing, "Erm, well, hopefully friends. I... made a mistake. They've done nothing but be nice to me and I pushed them away. I want to make up to them in someway. Your bread always made me feel better so I thought—"

"Dani-sshi, they would love the kind gesture. The fact that you're making the effort will reach their hearts," the older interjected. "Anyone would be happy to have you as their friend, I'm positive they will be your friends again. You're such a kind kid, even from when you were younger. So boisterous, easy-going, and sweet. For a while, I was worried about you."

"Worried about me?"

"You became different a few years back. This radiance you always had had dimmed," she replied with a sad smile. "Your words were short and low and you kept your eyes trained on the ground. Every time I saw you, I wish I could do something for you."

"Your bread is enough, halmeoni."

"Mm, bread is only temporary. To have precious people by your side, is what will make life so much brighter, Dani-sshi. Remember that."

Dani grinned. "I will."

The girl left the bakery with a box full of her goodies and her heart warm from her conversation with the halmeoni. Just something about the elderly woman always puts Dani's mind at ease. She always seems to know what to say at the moment.