Chapter 19: The Neo High Festival

The day has come.

Baek Dani stood before her full length mirror. She had a little bit before the festival starts but she wanted to dress somewhat decent for the event, rather than her usual jeans and t-shirt. Her clothes were sprawled along her bed, at least the few pieces that she deemed worthy. She had called Geurim over it, but she told her that she should wear whatever she wanted. It wasn't really much help.

"Sweetie— Omo!" At the doorframe stood her mother, who eyed her with a judging expression. "I thought you'd be dressed up by now."

"It's just... hard to figure out what I want to wear," Dani muttered as she looked at her stick-like figure on the mirror. "I want to dress nice... well, nicer for today."

This definitely earned a reaction from her mom. "You do?~ What a surprise!" The older woman sat down on her bed, picking up a white button down. "I'll help you!"

"But what about work?"

"Eh, I'm in no rush! I want to help doll-up my daughter," her mom chimed happily, as she picked up a vibrant green sweater vest. "Don't these two look good together?"

She practically shoved the clothes into Dani's arms. The younger could only scoffed as she held up the pieces to her body. They were a nice combination, she had to admit despite not being fashionable. "What about dad?"

"Ah, he already left for work so he can get off early to come to your school festival!" Her mother replied as she now eyed the bottoms she displayed out. "Oh, I'm so excited! You always left the festival early before we even arrived there the past years and now you're actually participating! I can't wait to see what my baby has done." Dani changed to the sweater vest combo. She stared at her reflection. This will do, for sure. "It's perfect! We bought that vest for you a year ago and you didn't wear it until now, aigoo! I told you it looks pretty on you. Try it with this, too!"

Her mother tossed her a simple black and white checkered skirt—no, skort. Once Dani put it on, she was honestly amazed. She didn't know she can look this great. Maybe she should use the clothing her mother bought for her sometimes. Her mother did know a thing or two from reading fashion magazines on her free time.

"Wow, my daughter is so so pretty!"

"Oh stop it."

"I'm being serious! You're the prettiest girl I know! You're even prettier than those famous idols," her mother gushed.

Dani clicked her tongue. "Now, don't you dare say that in public. People will seriously roast you on a fire for saying that." The teen looked around her room and picked up her black chunky sneakers. This will definitely complete the look. "Ah, should I put makeup on too?"

"Makeup? You wanna wear makeup?" Her mom scoffed incredulously. "Do you even have makeup?" Dani hummed as she thought about it, then shook her head. "What am I going to do with you." She stood up and hurried out the room. In mere seconds, she returned back into Dani's bedroom. She handed her what looks to be lipstick. "It's just tinted lip balm, it's all you need, alright?"

Dani popped the canister open and applied the balm to her lips. It was subtle but it did give her lips a bit more color. Her mom was right, this was more than enough.

The older sighed, "You wanted to dress up and try makeup? Who are you and what have you done to my child?" Dani was quick to give her a stink eye, which earned a laugh. "Honestly, I like it. It's good to see you open up and do more for your last year of high school!" She then opened her arms to Dani. By instinct, Dani engulfed her mother into a hug. "Seeing you happy makes me happy. Continue to live your youth while you still can, ok? I love you."