Chapter 17: Love Theory

The Neo High School festival was less than a week away. Everything has shifted, all the students were on full throttle in preparing for the annual event.

Everyone was involved one way or another.

Jeno will do a mix of dance and judo with his team at the festival's show, of course, him being the center. He mentioned that it'll be a medley of popular songs.

Geurim and her fellow library aides will open a small shop and do the gimmick of selling books with their covers hidden except for a description of it written, like a blind date with a book. Dani even got a sneak peek of a few of the mysterious books, some of which did interest her.

Jaemin, as he wasn't really part of a club but rather a tutoring program, was helping out people from his class, whenever they need it. May it be fixing decorations or helping create the perfect recipe for a dish, Jaemin was there to support.

Donghyuck, with no surprise, had been chosen as one of the auditioned performers for the show.

Dani had been staying later after school to complete her backdrops for the basketball team. She felt more at ease to have figured out what to paint, which was an array of realistic flowers, a specialty of hers. She wanted to paint them as if in a flower field. This was one of her biggest projects yet, but Dani was happy to be able to do it.

Besides, she had her partner, Renjun, also painting his backdrops along with her. Now that they were friends again, the two art kids were able to chat excitedly about the recent lessons they had and how they both found it fascinating.

And, occasionally, Donghyuck keep them company.

The tan-skinned boy would waltz in after an hour of his own practice. Dani would bother him from time to time for some clue on what he would be performing, but he would say it was a secret and he'd rather keep it that way until the very day.

She knew how great of a singer Lee Donghyuck was. It was a known fact that he was one of the best singers in school, and he made sure to perform in everything that would put him on stage.

Sophomore year, Donghyuck even participated in the school musical. He wasn't cast as the main lead but his skill and charisma made him seem like one... well, that's what Dani overheard, anyway. She wasn't able to watch it due to helping out her mother at the snack stand.

This would be her first year she would be able to fully listen to him.

For once in her high school career, she was looking forward to her school festival. To be able to participate and get herself involved in the festivities was something she never done before, but she was giddy to experience it with her newfound friends.

"Renjun, I think I'm done!"

"Ok, ok, give me like 5 more minutes... no, no 10 minutes and I'll be done too!"

"Injun, you keep redoing the same damn spot, I think you're more than done."

Dani laughed as Renjun threateningly held up his paintbrush towards Donghyuck. The two boys went back and forth over the progress of the paintings. Dani has grown used to the bickering at this point.

The lass stood in front of her finished pieces, letting out a sigh of satisfaction. After a couple weeks of nonstop painting, as far as painting until it turned dark outside, her paintings were finally done. At least today, they'll be able to get out with a glimmer of sunlight left.

She suddenly felt a presence from behind her.

"They look amazing, Dani," Donghyuck chimed, gazing at her work. "The sunflowers are my favorite."