Chapter 10: Line 'Em Up

Lee Donghyuck laid on his bed, staring blankly at his plain white ceiling. His mind was flooded with so many thoughts, but the memory replayed over and over like a broken record player.

"...because I had to run into all of you."

"I fucking knew I should have avoided you guys at all costs..."

"Why the fuck are you talking to me like we're old friends?!"

A saddened sigh left his lips as he closed his eyes. All he could see was her crying face, her trembling body, and her balled-up fists. His heart felt heavy.

If he didn't just boldly approach her... then maybe...

Baek Dani became such an enigma to him after all these years. What could have happened in the time between they haven't talked?

Donghyuck wasn't sure how much time had passed, but the sun was beginning to set. The skies began turning into hues from blue to orange. He had been sitting at a nearby bench, sitting along Renjun and Dani.

The lass needed the time to calm down from her emotional high. Neither of the boys felt okay with leaving her at school grounds on her own, so they just quietly decided to wait along with her until she was ready to go. At least the tears had stopped, that was one thing to check off of Donghyuck's list of worries.

"Do you feel better, Dani?" The tan-skinned boy reluctantly uttered.

Dani gulped, as she peered at the two to her right. Donghyuck met her gaze, while Renjun's eyes were drawn on the concrete ground.

She pursed her lips. "Kinda." Her eyes trailed down and Donghyuck knew exactly what she was going to say. "I'm...sorry for your shirt."

It wasn't pretty. His buttoned shirt had tear stains on it... as well as some snot, but he wasn't going to bring that up.

"It's okay, it can be washed," Donghyuck replied lightheartedly, as he folded his hands in front of him. "You must be hungry though, or at least thirsty? How about if we?—" He felt a nudge to his arm. He glanced to his side and saw Renjun giving him a stern glare.

"I'm sorry."

The two boys turned their attention on her.

"I told you, it's okay. The stains will come out."

"No. Not that," Dani interjected. "For blowing up at you..." A short silence fell upon the trio. The lass recollected her jumbled thoughts and continued as she looked specifically at Renjun. "It wasn't your fault this happened and I shouldn't have yelled."

"Dani, it's your right to be upset," Renjun chimed in. But Donghyuck could feel it as his close friend, the Chinese boy was shocked by her outburst. He was just trying to process through it right now. "You should be able to let all your anger and emotions out. We're fine."

A frown tugged at Dani's lips, probably still feeling guilty.

"Donghyuck, why don't you go ahead and give her a ride home on your bike?" Renjun suddenly suggested.

"Huh?" Donghyuck blinked in surprise. As he glanced over at the girl, he gave a nod. "Yeah, I'll give you a ride, Dani."

Dani gave a pout. "Y-You don't have to."

Renjun and Donghyuck exchanged glances. "Do you really dislike us that much?" Donghyuck uttered with a tilt of his head.

The lass's eyes widened and she waved her hand at them. "I don't dislike you guys! Seriously, I-I..."