Chapter 23: My Nervous Heart

After the Neo High festival, the rest of the weekend seemed to have passed in a blur. Dani wasn't even sure how she ended up in her bed that Saturday night, but she knew she was extremely exhausted from the day's events. She spent her Sunday lazing around. Her muscles ached, all that walking around and playing games taking a toll on her. Luckily, she avoided her parents rainstorm of questions as she cooped herself up in her room majority that day. Dani needed this Sunday to be just cozy silence to recharge for what's to come.

And all of a sudden, it was Monday.

Dani wasn't sure if she was looking forward to go back to school. Despite her peaceful Sunday, her brain was slush and her heart was racing a 100 miles per hour. Why was she all worked up?! Her and Yangyang haven't even dated yet!

The two of them promised they would keep their a secret to not give themselves the unnecessary attention... but Yangyang let her tell at least one person.

She was planning on telling Geurim and this was something she couldn't just yell through text message. She needs to blab it out as fast as she can in person!

Dani rode her bicycle faster than usual. The sooner she can get to school, the better!

However, her speedy cruise halted to a stop when she spotted a bicycle she knew all to well parked at the Fullsun Bakery. Just through the doors, she spotted the owner of the bike immediately... just as fast as he spotted her too.

"Oi, Baek Dani!" Lee Donghyuck called out, while waving at her. Dani inwardly sighed, but she went ahead and hopped off her own bike, parked it next to his, and entered the sweet smelling bakery. He was laying against the counter with his grandmother next to him, phone in hand. Judging by the sound Dani heard, Donghyuck was showing the elderly woman his performance from the festival.

"Hi Donghyuck-ah, hello halmeoni," Dani greeted the two of them.

"Dani-sshi! I'm so happy to see you!" The bakery owner cooed while taking her hand in hers. "How have you been? My sweet baby bear told me how fun the festival was."

Dani pressed her lips together to refrain herself. Donghyuck must've caught on as the two of them exchanged glances. Baby bear. The boy cursed at her through his gaze, but it didn't deter Dani.

"I've been good, halmeoni. The festival was grand," she answered, her attention back on Donghyuck's grandmother. "Did you just watch his performance, halmeoni? He did amazing, didn't he?"

"He sure did!" Grandmother beamed. "He's always had a golden voice, even when young. I love when I get to hear my boy sing!"

"You must be proud of him."

"I am! And of you too, Dani-sshi." The young girl raised her brow, wondering what she meant. Grandmother gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "He showed me pictures of your paintings, and goodness they're gorgeous! I didn't know you were so talented."

Dani glimpsed at Donghyuck. "Huh? Really?"

"Yeah, I had a lot of pictures I took from last Saturday. There's some really good ones that I'm going to print out later," The tan boy chimed with a smile to his face. "I'll give you some too, okay?"

She returned the smile, "Okay, baby bear." The way Donghyuck instantly clicked his tongue at her got her snickering at his silly reaction.

"Hold on, lemme give you some bread and you can share it with your friends!" The halmeoni gasped as she let go of Dani's hand and began plucking some bread from all over her shop.

"Ah, not again, you don't have to!" Donghyuck told her, as the two of them watched the elderly woman fill a plastic bag full of baked goods.

The woman shoved the bag into Donghyuck's hands. She beamed so brightly at the two of them. "I'm just so happy to treat my grandson whenever I can and to see you two together~" She then handed Dani one of her precious melon buns. "You two run off now. You wouldn't want to be late to school."