Chapter 27: The First Date

Lee Donghyuck was the luckiest guy in the world.

His school life had been great, he was within the top percentage of his class. He had gotten praise from from his peers over his performance at the school festival. He felt like he was having fun every day with his friends. And speaking of friends, he rekindled his friendship with Baek Dani, which he wanted to do ever since he saw her during their first year of high school.

And on top of that, he scored a date with the prettiest and most charismatic girl he had ever met!

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he had expected the 2-years-older college student to reject him that day. But no, somehow, someway, Baek Sua noona said yes! Donghyuck wanted to dance right then and there in the middle of the Heart's Cafe, but he refrained himself. Although, he did make the mistake of bringing up the idea of double dates, Sua was more than thrilled at the idea of Dani joining them with whoever else.

Donghyuck was worried he messed up. When he first told his two friends the situation, Dani wasn't so thrilled over the idea and stormed off. He couldn't even bring it up the next day because he was afraid of saying something wrong. However, once he brought it up again one last time, both Dani and Renjun agreed much to his relief.

Which brought him to today, his first date with Baek Sua!

He made sure to prepare for the day to be as perfect as can be.

Donghyuck stared at his reflection on the shop window. With some help from the boys, he picked out a pale blue buttoned shirt to be tucked into a pair of black slacks. He made sure his currently auburn hair wasn't its usual messy mop. He even trimmed a bit of his fringe to get it more out of his eyes. He looked handsome, if he do say so himself.

"Hyuck!"

The called-out boy peered up and smiled brightly at the sight of his best friend coming up the sidewalk.

"Injun, you're finally here!" Donghyuck huffed out. He grabbed onto his arm and basically shoved him through the glass doors of the shop. The two high schoolers were met with an array of colors from greenery and flowers. Donghyuck glimpsed around the room, he wanted to find the perfect flowers for his date.

"Do you even know noona's favorite flower?" Renjun asked as he watched his friend frantically look around. Donghyuck whipped his head towards him, a frown to his lips. "Idiot, you should have figured that out first."

"Oh c'mon, Renjun! Help a homie out." Donghyuck paused, his eyes trained on the batch of sunflowers. He remembered back to Dani's painting for the festival. They looked exactly the same to the real ones. How could she paint so realistically?

Subconsciously, he plucked one out from the plastic pot.

"I know it's your favorite, but sunflowers aren't really a first date kind of flower," Renjun murmured from over his shoulder.

Donghyuck turned and handed the singular sunflower to him, earning a confused glance. "Give one to Dani. Wouldn't you think it'd be weird if she's the only girl in our group without a bouquet? We're doing a double date, after all!"

"I guess you're right... and Dani sure does like sunflowers, too." The Chinese lad shot one suspicious glance at the other. "Hyuck—"

"You can't go wrong with roses, right?" The boy picked out a pre-made bouquet of a red rose surrounded by baby's-breath and greenery. "This one is pretty, right?"

Renjun refrained from asking the question that was in the back of his mind, and nodded his head at him. "I'm sure noona will love it. Let's buy and get going. Dani said she was on the way to the cafe already. We don't want her waiting too long."