STORY TIME

We all heard about Romeo and Juliet, but today I'll tell you an immortal love story from India "Heer Ranjha".
Let me warn you it's a tragic story. It doesn't have a happy ending.

Let's start the story

Heer was an extremely beautiful woman born in a rich family of Punjab and Ranjha was the youngest of four brothers and lives in the village near river Chenab in Punjab, Pakistan. Being his father's favorite son, unlike his brothers who had to toil in the lands, he led a life of ease, playing the flute. But after his father's death Ranjha has a quarrel with his brothers over land, and leaves home.

Eventually, he arrives in Heer's village and falls in love with her. Heer's father offers Ranjha a job herding his cattle. Heer becomes mesmerized by the way Ranjha plays his flute and falls in love with him. They meet each other secretly for many years until they are caught by Heer's uncle.
Heer was forced by her family and get married to another man.

Ranjha was broken. He wanders the countryside alone, until he meets an ascetic and becomes a Jogi himself, he renounces the material world. While reciting the name of the Lord, he wanders all over Punjab, eventually finding the village where Heer lives then.

The two return to Heer's village, where Heer's parents agree to their marriage (parents' agreement was only a deception). On the wedding day, her uncle poisons her food so that the wedding will not take place, he did it to punish the girl for her bad behavior (because she wants to get married with her choice and that too with low clan man). Hearing this news, Ranjha rushed to aid Heer, but he was too late, as she had already eaten the poison and had died. Brokenhearted once again, Ranjha eats the remaining poisoned food and dies by her side.

Heer and Ranjha are buried in Heer's hometown, Jhang. Love-smitten couples and others often pay visits to their mausoleum.

There is another story Laila Majnu, which is very popular in the west and central Asia. It too had a sad ending. If you want to watch this story as a dance drama then I am sharing its youtube link
https://youtu.be/Q23crxA_kjA

Share your country's folktales by commenting it down.