Goodbye

***Alice's POV***

I look down at the turquoise water below me. It looks so peaceful, undisturbed by the winds. Two arms encircle my waist. I laugh as a head is placed to my shoulder.

"Hello Alice." He whispers into my ear. His hot breath sends shivers down my spine.

"Hey." I reply weakly.

"What's my girl doing up here all alone?"

"Just needed a moment to myself." I reply. I hope he won't catch the lie. Recently I have felt uneasy, like something bad is going to happen. But I can't tell him because he will just tell me to dismiss my thoughts.

"Okay. How about you come with me. I have a surprise for you." He takes my hand and takes me down several twisting paths. "This way." He leads me in the down a familiar path. I would know it anywhere, how could I not? I have traveled it every day for my entire 15 years. Okay maybe not when I was one or two. But yeah.

We stop in a small clearing. In front of me are three boxes neatly wrapped in colorful paper.

"Pick one." He says placing his hand on the small of my back. I walk forward to inspect the boxes.

One is blue with little dots on it reminding me of snow. The next is a fiery red beautiful decorated in little golden butterflies. They stretch there wings out as if they were flying. The next box is smaller the the rest. It is encased in a violet paper. I step back to look at my options.

"Only one?" I giggle. He always gives the best gifts.

"Yes and no more!" He laughs and walks up to me. He puts his arm around my shoulders.

"But how could I pick just one when they are all so beautiful?"

"Only one trust me." I step forward towards the red box, but take a step back. Ugh I hate choosing. I close my eyes and let my senses pull me toward the correct box. I am pulled forward, the left. Focus. The pulling stops then I am pushed forward. I open my eyes and look down at the violet box.

"This is it." I smile.

"Perfect." He says and bends down to pick up the small package. Once he clasps it he sits on the damp soil.

"No let's go home to open it!" I whine.

"Nope you have to open it here." He says pulling me down so I am sitting on his lap. I start to pick at the paper until it turns to spreads out leaving a small box. I open it, a golden necklace stares back at me.

"It's gorgeous!" I breath. I have never seen anything else like it.

"Well I'm glad you enjoy it." He says taking it out of the box and placing the delicate chain around my neck. At the base of the thread of gold is a compass rose. The four points to my life I clutch it, because it means so much to me.  To my life.

He helps me up and we walk home. The curtain of darkness overtakes the sky and beckons me into sleep. But something is off. I am alone. I step into the night. The cool air greets my bare skin. I trudge around in my shorts and tank top looking for him. The golden chain still hangs around my neck. He is no where to be seen. I shiver and walk back to my warm bed.

The next couple days blur by, but each one feeling the same. Every night I was alone. He was never to be found. It scared me to be alone in such a dangerous location. But I know I am tough and can handle myself.