First Date // SapNotFound

| romantic |

[490 words]

Author's note: This is a flash fiction story, meaning that it contains less than 1000 words! I hope you enjoy it!

**content warnings: mention of death**

***

Long after the couple's last date, they have returned to the location of their first.

Rustling leaves fill the air with a sensation of peace, so Sapnap chooses not to interrupt the silence. Beside him, George plunges both hands into his jean pockets as they stand near the Botanic Garden's entrance. George's nonchalance is a facade; the man is barely able to stand still.

Years ago, Sapnap told George that the Botanic Garden is a perfect place for a first date. He feels proud to observe that his ex-husband remembered such a small remark.

Despite Sapnap's lingering sorrow for the end of the couple's marriage, he is thankful that both men successfully avoided drowning in denial.

Down the street leading to the Botanic Garden, a figure emerges from one of the cars in the parking lot. She wears a denim jacket, a small purse, makeup, and an affectionate smile.

George's tension reaches its peak when the woman spots him. He does not fear the woman. He is only afraid of what he feels for her.

George's smile is frayed, yet he waves anyway. Sapnap's smile is elated, but he does not wave.

Forcing a strong voice, the shy ex-husband greets, "Vera!"

"George!" Vera hurries forward until she skids to a halt before her date.

George and Vera do not know each other well enough yet to hug, but their greetings are polite.

"How have you been?"

"I've been great, thank you!"

Vera adjusts a lock of her glossy black hair, then she adjusts her shirt sleeves, and finally she rubs her palms together. Clearly George is not the only one who is nervous.

Watching from behind his ex-husband, Sapnap urges under his breath, "Come on, guys, do the thing!"

As if George heard the quiet comment, he offers an upturned palm to Vera. First the woman stares at his hand with surprise, then her expression softens. Gently she intertwines her manicured fingers with his. After a moment of pregnant silence, Vera looks up again.

"How much are tickets for the Botanic Garden? We can split the cost."

"Admission is free," George reassures with a sigh of relief.

"Oh, okay, wonderful!" Vera brightens. "Are you ready to...?" She gestures toward the entrance ahead. "Go?"

"Yeah, let's go!"

Sapnap steps aside as his ex-husband leads his new date - likely his future girlfriend - toward the Botanic Garden's entrance. He watches them squeeze each other's hands with breathless anticipation.

Soon George's heart will beat for someone else.

"I guess I'll go now," Sapnap murmurs to himself. To George, he adds, "You'll do fine."

Sapnap believed that he would be sad, yet he is jubilant. After accompanying his ex-husband through every stage of grief, he worried that George would cancel his date with Vera. Instead, Sapnap is ecstatic to witness George's commitment to reaching acceptance.

For the last time, the ex-husbands leave each other behind.

For the first time since Sapnap's death, George moves on.

***

Author's note: Even if your road is long, sticking around will always be worth it! I love you all! <3