Chapter 19 - Christmas Ball

CHAPTER 19

CHRISTMAS BALL

Iris' POV

"How many times do I have to tell you? Don't slouch!"

I almost rolled my eyes at the tone of mother. She's been torturing me since I woke up this morning. Kanina pang kung ano ano ang napapansin niya sa'kin. Maski nga ang stilettos na susuotin ko dapat ko ay pinapalitan niya kanina dahil hindi niya tipo. For her, appearance is everything.

"Smile. No, not like that---Ghad Iris, even a two years old girl can smile better than you. Ngingiti ka lang ng maayos, hindi mo pa magawa?" She tried so hard not to glare at me.

How about stop treating me like a robot or a dog so I can relax? It's a party and not a freaking fashion show. I'm starting to get annoyed and we're not even inside the function hall yet. Kung pwede lang magpaiwan sa bahay ay ginawa ko na.

"Ma, give her a break. You're stressing over nothing," natatawang bulong ni Ate Irene. "She'll be fine. Parang hindi mo naman po kilala 'yang si Iris. She hates the spotlight, remember? Once she's with her friends, she'll blend in."

Bumuntong hininga ang nanay ko. "She's hopeless but I'm glad you're here to represent this family. Now come on, we have to impress a lot of people today." And then she started talking about some business deal that my sister easily understood.

Pumasok na sila sa loob ng function hall kaya naman kumapit na ako sa braso ni Papa at naglakad na rin.

"Don't mind your Mom too much. You know how she is," My father reminded me.

"Of course, Pa."

I had accepted a long time ago that I'm the less favorite child. I can never do things my sister does, and it's fine. It's not like I can do anything about it.

Ngumiti na ako sa harapan ng napakaraming photographers bago kami tumungo sa designated table para sa pamilya namin.

The Christmas Ball for the Elites is one of the huge events in the country every year. Sobrang bongga ng party na ito dahil lahat ng mayayaman at makapangyarihang mga pamilya ay nagsasama-sama para sa isang gabi ng kasiyahan. Most of these adults are busy with their businesses but they'd cancel everything just to attend tonight's occasion.

It's a big deal if you're part of the society and yet you're not invited. It's either your family's not in good terms with a lot of other Elites or you're just not that relevant. I don't know which one's worse but I'm glad the Leona's have been attending this party for decades. Mula pagkabata ko ay tradition na para sa aming dumalo dito.

"Iris, you remember the Montealegre's right?"

My dad introduced me to a guy the same age as I am but it's pretty obvious that he's not interested for matchmaking stuff like me. Hindi kasi siya tumingin man lang sa akin at mukhang iritable pa siya. I smiled as a sign of respect and shook his hand. Then I immediately excused myself and left.

Tiffany caught my eyes. Its impossible not to since she's sitting alone at a huge table. "Hey girl!" I greeted.

"Hi! Merry Christmas!" Tumayo siya at niyakap ako. "Oh my gosh! You look lovely!"

"Thank you." My Mom made me wore a customized red off shoulder silk gown. "You as well."

Tiffany's crimson long sleeves lace gown made her look so sophisticated. Nakataas pa ang buhok niya kaya naman ang ganda ganda niyang tingnan. Maybe that's why no stranger here dares to talk to her tonight, they're intimidated.