Chapter 1- You can't do this to me

"You can't do this!" I yelled at my father. How could he even think of it? How? Why? When?! I didn't even know what question to ask first. My brain was all over the place. Unfocused and, therefore, useless in my current predicament

"I assure you, daughter," my father stared at me with a hard look in his dark brown eyes. "That I can, and I have. You WILL marry him, so that we can secure this merger. It's the only way."

"But, papa!" I said, hoping that calling him what I used to when I was little would knock some sense into him. 

"That's ENOUGH!' he roared at me. "Do you have any idea what this merger means for us?"

"Do you have any idea what my LIFE means to me?"

"You're being overly dramatic, Eloise." he said, with a shake of his head. He looked...disappointed.

Well, good. That makes two of us.

"I'm not being overly dramatic," I said. I was trying very hard not to stomp my foot and whine like a little brat, but damn. This was ridiculous. "I happen to think that I'm being very reasonable here. I'm 32-yeards-old, Papa, and I can choose a husband for myself. When I'm ready."

"I'm afraid that that won't be possible now, Eloise," he said it like he was telling me that I couldn't go to the movies in high school.

"You promised Mom!" I reminded him.

"Yes," he said. "I did indeed promise your mother that I would give you the choice to marry for love. But," he held up a finger before I could say anything. "I figured that since you're now in your thirties, that you weren't focusing on that, and that I could do it for you. And also, your mother left us. A long time ago. Who can even remember what I promised her back then?"

"I can!" I yelled at him. "She made sure that I knew! She felt trapped here. With you. I always thought that she was being silly and just wanted to leave me. But damn do I wish she was here right now, just to see what you're trying to do to me."

"Eloise..." he said, reaching for me. I jumped back before he could touch me.

"No, Papa," I said, holding up both of my hands. "No. You can not fix this with a hug like you could when I was 9. It's not going to work this time."

He dropped his hand and narrowed his dark eyes. "I'm sorry to go against my promise to your to your mother, Eloise, but this is happening. It's a done deal. You WILL marry Hoseok next month, or I will cut you off and disown you."

"You're picking business over your only daughter?" I asked him. "That's some Grade A parenting skills you've got going on there, Papa. And what the hell kind of name is Hoseok, anyway?"

"A Korean one."

"Korean? As in...Korea? He's from Korea?" I asked. I was having such a hard time wrapping my brain around all of this, that I could barely get my mouth to form words.

"Yes. South Korea, to be more exact. Some place called Gwangju, I believe."

"Does he even speak English?" I asked. This was getting worse and worse. "I don't speak Korean, Papa."

"You don't?" He asked, a look of actual confusion on his weathered face. "But you speak so many languages....Are you sure?"

"Yes," I told him. "Pretty damn sure. English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, and Mandarin. No Korean."

"Huh." He said. "Well, I've been told that he has been working hard on English for awhile, and that he is improving at an impressive rate."

"Sure he is," I said with a huff. "That sounds like a loaded answer. Like when all guys between 5'5 and 5'9 say that they're 5'10 and think that nobody will notice the 5 inch difference."