Chapter 3 - You Can Call Me Hobi

I looked down, trying to hide my frown and desperately hoping that he hadn't seen it. I also took a step back from him, making him finally drop his hands from my waist. Maybe now I could clear my head. Here I was, thinking that he might be an okay person to be forced to marry, and the whole time, he was thinking about how to get out of it.

I'm an idiot.

He reached for my arm, but I had stepped just far enough away to be out of his reach.

"Hey," he said. "Wait, a second, please."

"I don't know how to get out of it," I told him, picking at one of my cuticles, then reaching up to tug on my ear. Both were anxiety ticks that I did often. "I tried to talk some sense into my father before you got here, but apparently, he has none."

"Eloise..." he said, taking a step towards me and reaching his arm out to just barely graze his fingertips down my forearm. "I didn't mean that the way that it came out."

"No, it's fine," I said, trying hard not to shiver at his touch, and taking another step backwards to get away from it. "You're right. We should be looking for a way out of this."

"Would you stop? Please?" He said, a note of begging in his voice. "Just listen to me. And look at me. Please."

I sighed and lifted my eyes to his.

"Thank you," he said, then tilted his head to the side, watching my face. "You seem like a really nice person, and I would like to get to know you. We could maybe see what happens. But I don't want to get married just because my parents say that I have to. If I'm going to get married, then it's going to be to someone that I love."

"I understand what you mean," I said, looking back down at my hands, and using my pointer finger to pick at the cuticle on my thumb. "That's how I feel, too."

"If you agree, then why won't you look at me?" he asked. "I...I like your eyes. They're pretty. And I can't really see them right now."

"I just feel...stupid," I told him.

"Why?"

"Because I was over here thinking that maybe you wouldn't be too bad of a person to be forced to marry," I told him. "And you were just thinking of ways to get out of it."

"If it helps, I wasn't thinking that hard," he told me with a small smile on his perfect lips. "I didn't even come up with any ideas."

I looked up again just in time to see him shrug.

"I didn't mean to hurt your feelings," he said, stepping a little closer to me. "That is absolutely not how I meant it. As I said, I would like to get to know you and see what happens. Actually, I think that I would really like that. But if we get married, then it's going to be our decision. Not theirs." He lifted his arm towards the doorway that led to the living room, where all of the parents were.

I listened to his words and thought over them for a moment, then gave him a small smile and nodded my head.

"Yeah. Okay."

"Okay?" he asked. "Okay we can get to know each other?"

I just nodded my head at his question, but it made him smile.

"Good," he said, taking the last step until he was right in front of me like before. "Now that we're in agreement on that, I have a question for you."

I tilted my head back a little to look up at him. He wasn't much taller than me, but just a little bit. Maybe an inch...Actually, our height difference was the perfect amount, in my opinion.