Chapter 15: Gongjunim

After Jimin came, I knew that the whole group couldn't stay in my apartment, it only had two bedrooms. And while Yoongi and Jimin didn't seem to mind sharing a room, putting six guys in there seemed like a breach of human rights. Especially when we were still trying to make Hobi's parents believe that he was sleeping in my spare bedroom. After we finally gave up and told them that I didn't live with my dad, we decided to have Hobi stay at my place, too. We told them that we were being 'respectful and responsible' but we just wanted to be around each other to get to know each other. But now it was getting a little cramped, so I asked my father if everybody could stay at his house for a while. I explained the whole situation and how much the guys meant to Hoseok, and how it was necessary for me to meet them and basically get their approval.

I always joked about my father's house being the size of a small hotel, but now it was actually turning into one. Hoseok's parents had one room, and Hoseok another, though he continued to spend every night sleeping next to me, then snuck back to his room like a teenager in the early morning. Then there were Yoongi and Jimin, who each had a room, and the maids were currently preparing two more for whoever JK and Tae were. Eventually, even this house was going to run out of rooms, and we'd have random Korean guys sleeping on the couch.

I thought that my father would be annoyed by it all, but he seemed to be in hog heaven. He had hidden from most of society for so long, since my mother left, that I couldn't believe how much he was loving having all of these people in his house.

He had even given Mrs. Jameson, his head housekeeper, the task of decorating for Christmas. He hadn't done that since I had gone off to college. He said that there was no need to try so hard to fake the holiday.

But now?

Now he was currently playing his baby grand piano while Mr. and Mrs. Jung sang a Korean version of Silver Bells. There were huge smiles on all three of their faces, and it was contagious. Yoongi was humming along with them, under his breath, while he scribbled something in a notebook, and Jimin was singing softly, as well, while he worked on a giant North Pole puzzle on the coffee table. I was surprised at his voice. He was barely audible, but what I could hear sounded like an actual angel.

I wasn't sure what to do. I preferred my father's way of buying each other a gift, and going out for lobster on Christmas day. No muss, no fuss, no having to fake like I enjoyed the day and the season as much as everyone else in the world.

I used to like Christmas. I really did. What kid didn't? But my second year of college, my Gran had died of cancer. Christmas had been her holiday. She was one of those people who put up the tree before Thanksgiving, and just kept adding more and more decorations to her house, until it looked like the Christmas Spirit had thrown up all over the place

Since she had passed, it just wasn't the same. It was like my joy of the holiday had fed off of hers, and without her....I just couldn't do it. I missed her house at Christmas. I missed the smells. I missed her angel tree. I missed....her. So very much.

So much that all that the entire month of December did, was make me depressed. The worst part? Nobody understood. I had tried to explain to so many people before why I didn't really like Christmas, but they never really understood. Most of them said things along the lines of 'that's silly' or 'it's time to get over it.' I had also heard 'she would want you to enjoy it as much as she did,' a lot. While that was true, it couldn't fix the break in my heart that had been there since I lost her. Not even after 12 Christmases without her.

I hadn't told Hoseok any of this yet. I was trying the 'fake it til you make it' philosophy. It wasn't really working, because he kept glancing over at me and raising his eyebrows. Like he was trying to ask if I was okay, or what was going on. I didn't know how to tell him. He seemed to be enjoying himself just as much as everybody else, and I didn't want to bring him down. I never wanted to be the person that erased that beautiful, sunshine smile off his face.