7. Babies

Sofia Zanetti - POV

Sofia Zanetti - POV

As I opened the door, I was greeted by my overly excited mother. She waited as I took off my heels. I stared at my reflection at the mirror which my mother had put in the hallway. My hair which was perfectly laid down was now disheveled only in a matter of seconds.

All because of him.

Argh!

"How was it?!" She said in pure happiness, pulling me into the living room.

"Nothing happened mama. It was just dinner"

"Isn't he so handsome. So tall and manly. The two of you are perfect!" I cringed at her words. "I can already imagine your babies!"

Too soon.

"I'm not having his kids mama" Having kids meant having sex with him. And the thought of having kids with him was beyond me.

I never dwelled about having kids. Sure I loved being around them, they were adorable, well only until a certain age. But I have never saw myself to have kids one day.

And if Lorenzo wanted a child, we could surrogate I guess. These things were common now a days so I see no harm.

I watched as my mothers face fell. Disbelief struck over. She slapped my arm lightly but god did it sting. Did mothers have some sort of magical strength or something?

"You cannot marry if you don't want to birth him children. Children are a blessing Sofia. It brings two together, creating love and a special bond."

"I can't see myself loving him Mama. He's rude, full of himself and annoying."

I knew she would bring up the catholic view. Our family believed that you couldn't go ahead with the wedding if you didn't want children. Unless if you couldn't due to other reasons like infertility.

I doubt Lorenzo was a practising catholic himself. I didn't expect his loyalty in this marriage. He was a made man.

"He sounds just like you then. You do know how people say the more alike you are the stronger the compatibility. I'm sure you were the one who taught me that after those psychology classes you took in college" she held a smug look and I bit down on my lip trying not to talk back.

Of course she's using my words against me.

I didn't know if the claims was true or false but a professor I had a few years back had mentioned it.

"I'm not annoying or rude"

full of myself? Maybe.

She rolled her eyes at me before walking away into the sun room.

I made my way upstairs to my bedroom, I was met with Gabriella at the top of the stairs. She grinned at me and followed me into my room.

"Mama's already talking about children" I muttered, as I stripped off my coat, throwing it onto the black armchair.

"You know how she is with babies" she laughed, as she got comfy on my bed.

Gabriella struggled to get pregnant the first few years of their marriage. So her pregnancy was definitely a shock to me and I'm sure for everyone else. It was a miracle.

"So tell me how it really went" she asked, her smile wide as if I'm about to spill some juicy gossip.

I watched as she pulled herself against the headboard of my bed, her hands placing above her very pregnant belly. I don't know how I didn't notice it the day I came back. Nevertheless for seven months she looked good.

She had that pregnancy glow.

I got out of my dress and into an oversized hoodie, pulling the hood up, to cover the bruise.

I squashed besides Gabrielle, stretching my legs out.

"He took me to one of his restaurants and we had dinner. I don't know why everyone thinks we fucked or something".

But I went on and told her everything. From us pulling the gun at each other to the bet we made.

By the end she just looked at me like I was insane.

"So you guys made a bet on who begs for sex first?!" She snorted. "You're crazy Sof" she was laughing now, clutching onto her belly.

"You should see him if you think I'm crazy. He's the one who decided on it. I just agreed because I don't back out" I muttered, defending myself.

"And what if you get swayed by his sexiness that your mother has been going on about and you do lose?"

"Oh I know I'm not going to let myself lose to him."

Well I hope I won't lose...

"Well I put my money on you" she grinned and sent me a wink.

"So did you guys talk about anything else? Like the wedding, living situation and his family like you were meant to?" I stared at her with a blank expression.

"No?"

Gabriella had left, leaving me alone in my bedroom, to drown in my own thoughts.

How my life would be changing in the next month...

The day we tie the knot, I was bound to him until I died. There was no way out once it was official. Another thing about being catholic, there was no such thing as divorce. It was a huge sin.

Because of that unhappy marriages in this life was too common.

Made men cheated on their wives who were most likely alone at home looking after all the kids he decided to put in her. She ends up developing a relationship with drugs and alcohol which drives her to taking her own life. It was graphic and sad yet a harsh reality.

My aunt was a clear example of this, I never met her as she had died when I was young. But my mother told me how she was young and gullible and fell in love with him, she thought he returned the favour and loved her. But it was all lies. She found out he was never satisfied with her, cheated on her even on the day of their marriage. She carried three of his children, then overdosed on whatever drug she found in his office and died right in his office chair.

But as if the world was on her side, a few months later her husband ended up dying because of a heart attack.

Families were built on disloyalty, children brought into this world by parents who couldn't bare to stay in the same room together without picking a fight. Another reason why I didn't want to have children.

For me growing up I didn't see this in my family home. My parents marriage was not entirely perfect but they loved each other. My father made a promise to love her at the alter and he never broke that promise. He fell in love with her and she fell in love with him.

It was a beautiful story.

I don't expect myself to have the same reality...

🖤

Remember to Like/Vote and comment 😛