Chapter Five, Distance

When I was about to leave, I looked down at my backpack, realizing that I still had food from my lunch break. I grabbed some, leaving the backrooms.

I really hope he likes it.

I started going down the hallway, the sounds of people moving upstairs was all I could hear until I got to the door.

I paused, staring at the door. Its metallic trim still shimmering in the remaining light. I felt myself sigh.

I pulled out one of the keys from my pocket, it was pretty old. I unlocked the locks and slowly pushed the door open, seeing Cubic laying against the wall. He seemed lost in thought, I don't think he noticed me. I bent down to slide the food and water in.

That got his attention.

He stared at me, a slightly confused look in his eyes. I don't know why, but he looks... scared? Why would he be scared? I couldn't hurt him.

We stared at each other for a second before he grabbed the things I pushed towards him, keeping his distance from me.

"Why are you doing this?" He whispered, trying to not make eye contact.

"Well, I just thought y-you might like it and uh..." I stuttered, trying to keep myself calm.

He stared for a second before murmuring a small thanks. Was he really not... mad? I stared for a second before he noticed I was still there. I stepped in slightly, still watching him. If he tried anything, maybe I could get out of the way in time. I kept watching him closely. He, on the other hand, seemed to be watching me with the same kind of intent, like he was expecting me to do something.

"Why are you still here?" He stared at me.

"Well... uh... i-its just, I've never been this close to a corrupted without... uh..." I stuttered.

"Without them attacking you?" He looked up at me, looking a little threatening.

"Y-yeah..."

He laughed, looking down. He sounded somewhat worried, like he was putting up a front.I stared for a second before sighing.

We made eye contact for a bit. I looked down and pulled out my phone, checking the time.

It was nearing the end of my shift. I looked back up at him, half expecting him to attack me once I looked back up.

"O-oh... uh... s-sorry! My break is over. I have to go back." I laughed, he just stared at me before giving me a small wave.

I backed up, closing and locking the metal door again. I sighed, making my way back to my desk.

Cubic stared at the door, then the food he was given. He leaned against the wall, his head hitting one of the bookshelves. He let out a sigh.

A part of him knew he wouldn't get out of this mess...

...right?