Chapter Twenty Two, Outrunning Time

☆TW - Death, Violence. -☆

I bolted down the hallways, every step I took faster than before. I gripped the beam as I ran, trying to keep it far from the floor. I blindly turned a corner, running past the empty rooms. I couldn't worry, not now.

He needed me.

I continued down the hallways, turning left and right, trying to find anything that could lead me to him.

Then, something caught my eye.

A window.

I slowed down, my run turned to a small jog, then, I stopped.

I stared out, a large bridge hung above a canyon. It connected to the building I was in, it seemed pretty close.

It seemed like a good idea to explore.

I might find something there to help me find him.

I hope so.

I snapped myself out of my thoughts, looking down the hallway towards the direction of the bridge. I wasn't sure how close it was, but it looked close enough. I took a few cautious steps forward, trying my best to be silent. I quietly turned a corner, looking down the hallway. The doors were open like all of the other ones, however in one of the rooms, a light shone through the doorway.

The sounds of whispering emanated from that room, two corrupts saying something to each other.

I gripped the beam tightly, ready for a fight.

I stepped towards the door, peeking in. Two corrupts spoke to one another, neither of them noticed me.

I drew in a breath, panic in the back of my mind. I slowly crept past the door, trying not to be seen.

I couldn't let them. Not now.

I was too close.

I looked ahead of me, the sounds of footsteps coming from one of the hallways slowly became more distinct, growing louder as they approached.

A figure soon turned the corner, nearly seeing me.

I darted to my side, rushing into a small, darkened room. I curled up beside the door, keeping myself covered in shadows. The sounds of footsteps grew, quickly coming closer. I held my breath, trying to stay silent. My hand gripped the beam tightly, worry burning itself deep in my brain. The figure stepped closer and closer, all until they stopped at the door. My eyes adjusted to the dark, making them much more visible.

It was a kid.

I slowly let go of the beam, calming down slightly.

The kid looked around the room, taking a step in. They looked right at me, somehow not even noticing me. They took a few more glances around the room before turning around, leaving just as quickly as they came.

I heard their footsteps echo away from me, becoming fainter and fainter. I breathed a sigh of relief, keeping myself tucked away in the darkness.

I waited to hear them fully leave, but they didn't.

Instead, they stopped at the glowing door.

"Brother," the younger one spoke, "Do you think that Cubic has been fixed yet?"

"No," They sighed, "The doctor has much more pressing issues to work out right now." I could hear them shift in place, "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I just thought that if he was, I could be the one to teach him what the word love meant. Maybe even get ahead of my peers in ranking." They spoke, their happiness brushing their words.