Chapter Sixteen, Broken Branches

The Night drew on, the stars and moon being Cubics only source of light. He stared at the forest through the opening in the door, his eyes darting between the trees and rocks, unable to look away. He watched as the trees swayed, and as animals passed, watching for any sign of that unknown corrupt.

He shifted in place, looking around nervously. He glanced at the place he saw them first appear, looking for any signs of change. His worry only got worse as he watched on, no sight of them. He knew it was only a matter of time.

If they weren't coming back, he knew the others were aware of what he was doing.

He shivered at the thought, fear finally reaching him. He pulled himself together, turning back to Y/N. His eyes scanned over their sleeping form. He couldn't help but feel calmer knowing they were safe. He smiled to himself, still watching. He scooted closer to them, now sitting near their sleeping form. His hand reached out, gently touching their shoulder. He couldn't stop feeling like something was wrong, like something would happen sooner or later. He kept staring at Y/N, trying to keep himself calm. He had to keep himself calm, or it wouldn't end up well for either of them.

He was quickly snapped out of the thoughts, the sound of snapping branches echoed through the empty woods. He pulled himself away from Y/N, going up to the door as quietly and carefully as he could.

His eyes peered through the gap, looking to the woods. The trees swayed, their needles clicking and rustling gently. His eyes focused on the strange broken branches, all shattered and mangled. He stared, the sight felt unexplainably wrong. He backed up from the door, the burning feeling of fear trickling down his spine. He kept staring, wondering if it was that way before.

It all felt so wrong.

He looked back to Y/N, their sleeping form bringing him back to reality. He sighed, getting up and moving closer to them. He sat down right next to them, staring at their small smile highlighted in moonlight. He started to feel something. One of the emotions they've made him feel before. One of the good ones. He smiled to himself, the feeling only getting stronger. His mind began to wander, thinking of them. His face heated up even more as the thoughts came and went, and yet he didn't want them to stop.

A part of him liked feeling this way, he didn't want it to end.

Cubic's eyes darted away, his gaze now focused on the falling snow outside. He watched as it fell, filling up any imperfections made in the snow prior. It comforted him to watch, slowly calming him down. He took in a slow breath, his racing thoughts slowing to a halt. He smiled to himself, calmness washing over him.

His eyes began to feel heavy as he watched on, tiredness creeping in. He yawned, falling backwards. His head gently hit the pillow underneath him, the softness of the blanket lulling him to sleep.

He turned to Y/N in his remaining moments of consciousness, a smile forming on his face as he drifted off into sleep. He felt like he was drifting through a river, a peaceful feeling he hadn't felt before.

He liked it.

—--------------

My eyes fluttered open, sunlight shining into them. I looked around, the unfamiliar walls scared me until I remembered where I was. I yawned, my breath hanging in the air as I slowly woke up. I looked around, the cool breeze from outside powdered the room. Freshly fallen snow peeked in through the crack in the door. I froze, feeling a strange, slightly shivering pressure on my back. I turned quietly, trying not to move too much.

The small corrupt cube laid there, his face pressed into my back as he held on for warmth. I pulled myself up a bit, but was only pulled back down by the small cube. He tugged at me, pulling me closer to him. I laid back down, trying to stay as still as possible. A small smile crept onto my face, one of my hands touching his.

I didn't want to leave this moment for a while.