Chapter Seventeen, Black Opaline Eyes

As the time ticked on, I stayed there, trapped in an endless hug. I rested my hand on his, sighing to myself. I had to go to work, but I couldn't just wake him up. He slept so gently, so peacefully. I didn't want to drag him away from that. I felt a strange release of pressure on my back, the small cube finally moving after all this time.

"What the-" he yawned, cutting himself off. "Y/N?" He groggily mumbled.

"Hey sleepy head," I smiled, turning my attention towards Cubic, "you awake?"

"Mmm yeah..." he quietly said. "I think so..."

"Okay, well, are you planning on letting go of me at some point? I need to get to work." I smiled.

He quickly pulled himself away, "I-Im sorry! I-I just-" he stuttered.

I turned to him, smiling softly "don't worry, you don't need to apologize." I smiled, "I didn't mind."

I watched as his face tinted a deeper pink, his eyes darted around for a bit before finding a place to focus on, looking away from me.

"I-You didn't?" Disbelief coated his voice, his eyes glancing to mine.

"Of course not!" I smiled softly, my face heating up. "Anyways, how did you sleep?" I tilted my head slightly.

He glanced at me for a second "Oh, uh-" his eyes quickly averted. "I slept fine..."

"That's good." I smiled, my face starting to heat up.

Silence filled the room as he began to slowly wake up. I pushed myself up off of the ground, my bones feeling stiff from hours of laying on the hardwood floor. The floorboards creaked under my own weight as I stretched, the soreness from not being able to move finally hitting me. I pulled myself together, turning to my things laid out on the floor. I stepped towards them and began collecting them all in one pile. Cubic didn't even seem to notice, his attention more focused on the snow and forest outside. He had a peacefully silent look on his face, although slightly worried. His dark eyes sparkled in the sunlight, looking like beautiful black crystals. I quickly looked away, trying not to stare at him. My face heated up as I continued to get ready.

I soon turned to the door, the floorboards creaking under my every move.

Cubic quickly took notice, turning his body now to face me. He reached out slightly, a worried look in his eyes.

"Where are you going?" He asked, a hint of covered up worry tinting his voice.

"Oh, I'm just going to put these away and get ready for work, w-why? What's wrong?" I asked, worried.

"O-Oh... I-It's just..." his eyes darted away "I-.... I'm just worried..." he looked off.

"I- Oh..." I smiled, trying to reassure him "There's nothing to be worried about! I'll be fine."

"Okay." He smiled, seeming to calm down.

I stepped out into the snow, the chilly frost sparkling in the sunlight.

I walked up to my home, my hands still tightly gripping my things. I carefully place them in one arm, trying my best not to drop everything. I reached for my keys, unlocking the door. The door creaked open, warm air flooding out into the frozen tundra. I stepped inside, trying to be as silent as possible, trying not to wake anyone up.

I quickly made my way up the stairs and to my room. I let go of all of my things, most of them falling to the floor. I quickly changed into my work clothes, not bothering to even really look at myself in the mirror.

I rifled through my little bedside table, pulling out whatever food I could find for Cubic. I pocketed most of what I could find before leaving.

I quickly made my way out of the home, the door slamming louder than I had hoped. I froze for a second before quickly running to the shed. The snow crunched under my shoes as I walked up to the shed, going inside. Cubic sat on the floor, his eyes quickly focused on me. I smiled at him, bending down to give him what I could scavenge from my room. He took it, a small smile forming on his face.