Eevee - I Choose You!

Ari had never been patient. She was convinced the wait would kill her.
On her tenth birthday, she waited near Professor Oak's lab, counting the minutes. She had never been so bored.
Three other aspiring Trainers were starting their Pokémon Journeys on the very same day. Professor Oak insisted that Ari wait until last, because she was already getting 'special treatment'. Ari had waited almost three years for that Eevee, yet Oak thought should wait longer.

For the third time, Ari saw people gather around the lab to see a new Trainer off.
Her heart leapt. Finally, it was her turn.
Ari sprinted away. She had never been more ready for anything in her life. She had even dressed like a Trainer, in a red cap, black blouse, bright cyan shorts, shiny shoes, and a new bag.
"Coming through!" Ari yelled as she approached the crowd. She barreled into a young man stood outside the door.
"Oh, sorry," Ari apologised, before straightening up and realising who she crashed into.
It was Gary Oak, the Professor's grandson. He had spiky mahogany hair and more swagger than Ari could tolerate. Ari had crossed paths with him a few times before.
Gary smirked at Ari. "Ari, wasn't it? Better late than never. At least you get the chance to see me off. You're already behind. I have a Pokémon, and you don't."
"You got your first Pokémon?" Said Ari.
Gary pulled out a Poké Ball and stylishly span it between his fingers. "It's right in here."
The crowd cheered for Gary. Ari realised several cheerleaders not much older than her had gathered to sing Gary's praises. She'd never been so jealous.
"What Pokémon did you get?" Ari asked.
Gary pocketed the Poké Ball and placed a hand on his hip. "The best one. Gramps would never dissapoint me. Excuse me while I go put Pallet Town on the map. Smell you later!"
Deliberately knocking into Ari, Gary strode away. His cheerleaders followed.
Ari clenched her fists, seething, before she remembered what she was supposed to be doing, and entered the lab.

Ari had refrained from visiting Eevee since she'd rescued it; she truly wanted this reunion to be one of the best moments of her life. Just the thought of seeing her Starter Pokémon calmed Ari down.
Professor Oak was stood with his back to a pedestal. Ari knew that was where the Poké Balls of the traditional Starter Pokémon trio - Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle - would have been kept before that morning.
Ari could hardly contain herself. "Professor Oak, where's my Pokémon?"
It didn't matter how many times Oak met Ari. He was always startled by her brash energy. "Don't worry. I saved her just for you."
A fourth Pokéball emerged from a spot in the pedestal. Ari snatched it up, pressed the button, and watched as light escaped from inside, solidifying to form a sleeping Eevee on the laboratory floor.
Ari beamed. "She is so cute. Easily the best option."
She scratched Eevee behind the ears.
"Eevee is a rather relaxed Pokémon," Oak said. "This one seems to divide all of her time between playing and sleeping."
Ari cradled Eevee in her arms. The Evolution Pokémon woke, observing her new Trainer drowsily.
"You must be so happy to see me again," Ari beamed, stroking Eevee.
Oak shuffled awkwardly. "Ari, maybe I should warn you... I highly doubt Eevee remembers you-"
"Nonsense!" Ari scoffed. "I am very memorable."
Oak appeared doubtful. "I suppose. Now, take these - your Pokédex and Poké Balls."

After being well-equipped by Professor Oak, Ari found a small group waiting outside to see her off. Her mama couldn't be there - having left a month prior on another mission after wishing Ari all the luck in the world on her Pokémon Journey - but several of her neighbors made it, including Delia, who had always been like a parent to Ari. Delia had packed Ari's bag earlier with essential items.
Delia wiped a tear from her eye. "Ari, I know your mother is so proud of you. Just because this is your dream doesn't mean I won't miss you-"
"Delia, you're embarrasing me!" Ari protested. "I'm a Pokémon Trainer. I'm going to take care of myself."
"I understand," Delia said. "That's your Pokémon? I thought all Pokémon stayed inside their Poké Balls."
Eevee was falling back asleep in Ari's arms. When Ari tried to place Eevee back inside the Poké Ball, the Evolution Pokémon swatted the ball away with her tail, as if Ari was playing.
"I guess she prefers it out here," Ari said. Eevee dozed off again.
"I'm sure she'll have your back," said Delia. "Make sure to call your mother when you get to Viridian City."
"You can count on it. And I'll stay in touch with you as well," Ari added, to ease Delia's anxiety.
After one long look at Pallet Town, Ari left at a run, Eevee in her arms.