Challenge of the Samurai

Misty wanted nothing more than to escape Viridian Forest, a feat she still hadn't acomplished after several days. She was sick of the disgusting Weedle and Caterpie that watched her from every tree. She had stormed away from Ari after the newbie had failed to capture a revolting Weedle. Misty didn't want to look at another slimy bug ever again.
That was when a young man in a samurai helmet burst from the bushes and levelled a katana at Misty's neck.
Misty screamed.
"Greetings, oh shrieking maiden," said the samurai. "Are you, by chance, the Trainer who comes from Pallet?"
"No, not me," Misty whimpered.
The samurai sheathed his katana. "Alas, my search continues. I advise you to refrain from further shrieking while passing through this forest, unless your goal is to attract a horde of Beedrill."
That was certainly not on Misty's to-do list.
The scowling boy stalked away.
"Weird kid," Misty remarked. "I wonder why he'd be looking for a Trainer from Pallet..."
The realisation hit her.
"That's Ari!" Misty sprinted away.

Ari was resting on a rock when the samurai boy found her.
"Greetings. Am I addressing the Pokémon Trainer who comes from Pallet?"
"That's me, and I'm proud of it," Ari said.
The samurai raised his katana. "I have found you at last!"
Eevee started sniffing the boy's shoes.
Ari picked Eevee up, set her aside, then readied her fists. "You think that sword scares me? I'll take you on myself, because there's no way you're stealing my Pokémon!"
"I am no Pokémon thief."
Misty emerged from the trees, observing the unfolding scene with worry. "Who are you, then?"
"I am Samurai. I am shrewd, fearless, and completely invincible in combat. I have been searching the forest for you," he told Ari.
"What do you want with me?"
"A Pokémon Battle!" Samurai revealed. "Let us see who triumphs."
Ari was still irked by her earlier failure with the Weedle. "Show me what you've got, Samurai."

Ari and Samurai took their places in a clearing. Misty agreed to referee the match.
"Pinsir, assume Battle mode!" Samurai rigidly threw his Poké Ball. A brown bug with sizable mandibles emerged.
Misty gagged.
Ari consulted her Pokédex. Pinsir, the Stag Beetle Pokémon. A Bug-type. This fearsome Pokémon uses its powerful claws to squeeze opponents.
Ari drew a Poké Ball. "Pinsir may be strong, but Metapod can outlast it." She released the Cacoon Pokémon, who returned Pinsir's defiant stare.
"Watch and weep as Pinsir crushes your Metapod in half," Samurai said.
Pisnir charged, preparing a Vise Grip.
Ari wasn't worried. "Metapod's best offense is a good defense. Use Harden, now!"
Metapod's shell toughened until it was sturdier than steel. Pinsir's mandibles smashed against the shell. The Stag Beetle Pokémon writhed in pain, collasping when it tried to continue the assault.
"Pinsir is unable to continue! Metapod is the winner!" Misty confirmed.

Samurai withdrew Pinsir. "Quite clever. Poké Ball, go!"
His own Metapod materialized. It was a Metapod mirror match.
"Metapod, Harden, like her's!" Samurai commanded.
"Harden, Metapod!"
Both Metapod used Harden for several minutes, trying to surpass each other.
"We're going to be here a while," Misty said. "Ari, why don't you have Metapod use Tackle?"
"And take away his chance to prove himself? No way! Keep on using Harden, Metapod!"
Both Metapod solidified their shells.
"You two are more hard-headed than your Metapod!" Exploded Misty.
"Hey, this was his decision!" Yelled Ari, far louder than Misty.
A loud buzzing noise began.
"What's that noise?" Misty asked.
"A Beedrill swarm approaches," explained Samurai. "No doubt attracted by your senseless shouting. Our match must end." He recalled his Metapod.
"You think this is my fault?" Ari said. Dozens of angered Beedrill emerged from the trees. Beedrill, the Posion Bee Pokémon. A Bug- and Poison-type. This Pokémon is an Evolved form of Weedle, following its Kakuna stage. Its sting is highly poisonous.
Immediately, a Beedrill hungry for retribution grabbed Ari's tired Metapod.
"Metapod, return, now!" Ari tried to recall Metapod, but the Beedrill moved fast enough to recall the Poké Ball's beam. Before she could chase after the kidnapper, another Beedrill descended, using Poison Sting
"Ee-vee!" Eevee vaulted from Ari's head and drove several Beedrill away with Swift.
"Come on! Let's move it!" Urged Misty.
"But Metapod!" Ari said.
"It'll have to wait!"
They made a run for it, but the Beedrill were gaining. Ari couldn't help but think of the Spearow flock, and how she'd saved her Pokémon from a tricky situation then. She would rescue Metapod.

To escape the Beedrill, they hid in a thicket, before Samurai escorted Ari and Misty to his log cabin when the coast was clear.
Ari, Eevee, and Misty sat down, breathless.
Samurai removed his helmet. "I hope you've learnt your lesson, novice! You almost cost us our lives with your careless shouting."
"Take that back!" Ari demanded.
Samurai thought. "I do take it back, because not even a novice would abandon her own Pokémon as you did."
"I tried to save Metapod."
"Your Metapod will pay for your inexperience. The other Trainers from Pallet would never have been so irresponsible."
"Other Trainers from Pallet? Did you have a match against Gary?"
"Correct. Three Trainers from Pallet Town faced me in spectacular matches, each more challenging than the last. All three knew how to raise Pokémon, and defeated me. I was inspired to redouble my own efforts. I had been preparing for the day when I would beat the next Pokémon Trainer from Pallet."
"So that's why you picked a fight with me," Ari deduced.
"Yes. But, compared to the other three, you are a complete joke."
Ari looked down at her own feet. After the Spearow had wounded Eevee, Ari had told Nurse Joy it wasn't her fault. She hadn't believed her own words. She was the one who had been hard on Eevee, then hit Spearow with the stone. Now, she had attracted the Beedrill, failing to retrieve her naturally sluggish Metapod.
Perhaps Ari was, as Misty had warned, reckless. Irresponsible, even.
"Let me back out there, then," Ari insisted. "I have to save Metapod."
"Wait until morning," advised Samurai. "The Bug-types will still be asleep."
Ari hated leaving Metapod in Beedrill's custody, but was forced to acknowledge Samurai's point.
She couldn't sleep that night, even with Eevee curled up next to her. She could only think about Metapod. 

At dawn, Ari, Eevee, Misty, and Samurai sought out the Beedrill nest.
Ari impressed the importance of remaining quiet on her companions.
"Like you can be quiet," derided Misty.
"Believe me, I know stealth. My mother works for the International Police."
"Interpol?" Misty said approvingly.
"We're getting close," Samurai said, eyeing the nearby Kakuna. "Hush, now."
Kakuna hung from every branch in the vicinity. Beedrill slept, surprisngly peacefully considering their aggressive nature.
Ari walked lightly on her feet, then crawled through the brush towards her Metapod, who she sighted on the ground near several Beedrill.
"There you are." At the sound of Ari's voice, Metapod opened his eyes. "Here, into the Poké Ball, Metapod."
Metapod shook his head.
Ari didn't understand. "Metapod?" She looked into her Pokémon's reproachful eyes. "You... you don't trust me anymore, do you? I didn't abandon you, Metapod. I swear, I'll never leave you behind again. It was all my fault. If I was a better Pokémon Trainer, I'd stop making all these excuses. I just need you to understand how sorry I am. Please."
Ari couldn't stop herself from crying. The noise awakened every surrounding Beedrill.

A Beedrill dived at Ari, using Twineedle.
Eevee yelped, digging her paws into Ari's hat. The pair were saved by Metapod. He had jumped foward, intercepting Twineedle with Tackle. The powerful hit from Beedrill caused Metapod to drop into Ari's arms.
"Metapod!" Ari cried. Metapod's shell was cracked. "Are you ok?"
Metapod cringed. Light spilled from his damaged shell. He was swathed in a brilliant glow, his shell bursting open to reveal a Butterfree.
"You Evolved!" Exclaimed Ari.
"Freee! Freeeee!" Butterfree cried, taking to the air on his new wings.
Butterfree, the Butterfly Pokémon, said the Pokédex. A Bug- and Flying-type. It loves the nectar of flowers and can locate flower patches that have even tiny amounts of pollen.
Butterfree released Sleep Powder from his wings, forcing all the Beedrill back into their slumber. Misty and Samurai stopped cowering to watch their attackers drift off into sleep.
"Butterfree's so beautiful," admired Misty, ignoring her fear.
"You're the best, Butterfree!" Ari stroked Butterfree's head. He closed his eyes, clearly enjoying the contact.
"Vee," congratulated Eevee.

Once they were safely out of the nest, Samurai bowed to Ari. "You were able to regain your Pokémon's respect, and handle it well after it Evolved. Most impressive."
"Thanks," Ari smiled.
Samurai guided Ari and Misty through the forest. "This trail will lead you to Pewter City."
"But we still need to finsih our Battle."
"I want to perfect my techniques," Samurai explained. "One day, we shall meet again."
"It"ll be a spectacular match," Ari promsied.
"That is guaranteed."
"Until then, Samurai." Ari waved goodbye to the boy.
"Farewell."
With Pewter City in sight, Ari, Eevee, and Misty continued on, Ari's first Gym Battle fast approaching.