The Pokémon Catching Race!

"Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the annual Pokémon Catching Race!"
Every year, the contest was held at the outskirts of Fuschia City, and the crowd responded unfailingly with tremendous applause. The air was fully charged, and Ari soaked it up. Eevee waved at the audience from atop her head.
To Ari's left was Misty, her graceful smile tinged with smugness. Brock stood to the right. Ari looked past Brock, and her face darkened. Another entrant was Gary Oak himself, sneering and waving as if he'd already won. His cheerleaders screamed their support, every kiss he mimed sending them into a frenzy. Ari itched to wipe Gary's smile from his face.
Her anger lightened when she caught sight of the girl to Gary's right: Lena. She gave Ari a teasing glance, her eyes bright and friendly.
The announcer turned to the dozen or so assembled contestants. "You will have half an hour to Catch as many Pokémon as possible using the Poké Balls we've provided. You may only Catch Pokémon wearing this symbol around their necks." He showcased a necklace on which a stylised white diamond was fashioned out of wood. "You will not be allowed to keep the Pokémon after the competition. You are permitted to Battle the Pokémon, but - in the interest of difficulty- you may only use two Pokémon throughout the competition. Trainers, please select those Pokémon!"
Ari signalled for Eevee to jump from her head, drawing Charmander's Poké Ball. The Flame Pokémon puffed out his chest, his little face glowing at the sight of such a large audience to witness his strength. Misty chose Starmie and Psyduck, the former emotionless, the latter oblivious. Brock's Vulpix sent spirals of flame into the sky, whilst Geodude flexed his muscles. How had someone as humble as Brock ended up with such flashy Pokémon?
Ari took a peak at Gary and Lena's choices - she knew the value of knowing your competition. Lena was using Charmeleon and a bulky Tauros. Gary had chosen an Arcanine. The Legendary Pokémon's coat was alight in the spectrum of a roaring flame. Ari could see how substantial its fur was, and felt a strange desire to pet the proud and mighty beast, despite the pointed teeth and hostile snout. She was taken aback by Gary's other selection - a Nidorino. A Pokémon pricky and venomous in both appearance and nature was a perfect fit for Gary, but Ari had expected him to use his Starter Pokémon.
The announcer counted down on his fingers. "On your marks... ready, set, go!"

Ari sprinted off into the woods. The area designated for the competition was filled with cameras, following their every move, recording every feat and failure.
Ari's eyes had long been trained to make out the smallest of movements. She made out a rustling, the volume rising, and turned in that direction. A Doduo was darting between the trees, white diamond hanging from one of its two necks.
Ari said, "Eevee, Quick Attack!"
"Va-vee!". Eevee dashed foward, intercepting Doduo. Charmander seared it with an Ember-
Ari threw a Poké Ball-
Three shakes. A click.
Score one for Team Ari.
After indulging Eevee and Charmander in a celebratory high five, Ari scouted her next target.

Brock, who had instead veered towards the open plains at the end of the designated area, had a different plan. Enlisting Geodude's help in flattening some of the long feelers of grass, he set some Pokémon food down before seeking the shelter of the trees. Rather quickly, a Pidgeot descended and crammed the food down its throat. Brock threw a Poké Ball, hitting Pidgeot just beneath its diamond necklace and adding it to his score.
Brock gave the remaining food to Vulpix and Geodude. "I've hardly needed you two to Battle for me at all," he said. He'd already Caught three Pokémon, and with twenty minutes left, he was hoping to add many more. Thinking of the joy it would bring his little siblings to see his win broadcast live, Brock cut his musing short and set out for another Catch.
A familiar adolescent voice caught Brock's eye - not far away, Gary Oak emerged from the trees. His prey was Raticate, Poisoned from a bombardment of Nidorino's Poison Stings. As Raticate tried to escape Gary, Arcanine cut it off using Extreme Speed. Brock didn't need to get much closer to see Raticate's distress, its face ruddy, with sweat blooming, as it was ravaged from the Poison. The first Poké Ball that hit Raticate Caught it instantly, the Rat Pokémon offering no resistance.