Ari Catches a Pokémon

Ari crossed her fingers as her Poké Ball absorbed Caterpie. The Poké Ball trembled thrice, went still, then clicked.
"I caught it?" Said Ari.
Misty nodded glumly.
Ari grinned widely. "YES!" She scooped up the Poké Ball and presented it to Misty. "Who's the rookie now?"
"Still you," Misty grumbled.
"I don't care, because I caught a Pokémon!" Ari felt like dancing. She raised her hand. Eevee high-fived her Trainer with a paw.
Misty grabbed Ari's wrist to stop her sending out Caterpie. "Don't let it out!"
"You don't like bugs, do you?" Ari commented.
"They're horrible, disgusting things, and- AH!" Misty squealed when Ari's Caterpie materialised near her ankle. "Cut it out! Bugs, well, bug me out, in a Poké Ball or not!"
"Misty's mortally afraid of bugs," Ari said. "I'm going to have some fun with this."
"Keep it away!" Misty demanded.
Ari picked up her new Caterpie. "Don't mind her. We're going to be great friends."
Eevee greeted Caterpie from atop Ari's head. Caterpie's eyes sparkled.
"Takes a worm to love a worm," said Misty.
Ari went to punch her, but Misty jerked away.

That evening, Ari and Misty set up camp deeper in Viridian Forest. The thick trees loomed over them like protective hands. Ari heard the chirps of bugs and birds.
Eevee and Caterpie played in a patch of flowers. Both Pokémon ran to the humans; Eevee jumped into Ari's arms, whilst Caterpie nuzzled against Misty.
"Get this disgusting bug away from me!" Misty shrieked.
"You think my Caterpie is disgusting?" Said Ari.
"Bugs are one of the three most disgusting things in the world."
"Aside from you, what are the other disgusting things?"
"Very funny," Misty snapped. "Bugs... and carrots and peppers," she confessed. "Why are you making such a big deal out of this? Everybody has something they don't like, and I don't like bugs." Caterpie tried to climb up Misty's leg. "I said away, you slimy thing!" Misty shoved Caterpie off and abruptly stood up. "If you hadn't destroyed my bike, I would've ridden off by now."
Misty stormed into the tent.
Ari and Eevee consoled the tearful Caterpie.
"Maybe she'll accept you someday," speculated Ari. "If not, who needs her? You have us!"
"Vee!" Echoed Eevee.
Caterpie brightened up. He wistfully eyed a Pokémon flying overhead - his final form, Butterfree.
"That's it," Ari realised. "You want to Evolve into a Butterfree. Caterpie, you're lucky to belong to a future Champion. I'm going to be a Pokémon Master someday. I'm more than capable of Evolving you."
Caterpie snuggled closer to his Trainer, and they watched the night's first stars together.

Ari had hardly finished breakfast the next morning when she became aware of a bird Pokémon nested in the tallest nearby tree.
Ari raised her Pokédex. Pidgeotto, the Bird Pokémon, and the Evolved form of Pidgey. A Normal- and Flying-type. It is armed with sharp claws and dives from the sky to capture its prey.
Pidgeotto met Ari's eyes and flew away.
"You're not getting away that easily!" Ari summoned Caterpie from his Poké Ball. She ran towards the tree Pidgeotto had just departed from.
"It's too early for this, Ari!" Misty called.
Ari payed her no mind. She climbed the tree with a Mankey's agility, disturbing the Weedle and Kakuna nestled within, until she reached a branch twenty metres high.
"You're up, Caterpie. Use String Shot!"
Firmly attached to Ari's upper arm, Caterpie shot a sticky thread from his mouth. It connected with another tree, forming a zip line. Warning Eevee and Caterpie to hold on tight, Ari slid down. Her arrival startled Pidgeotto, the Bird Pokémon falling from the tree to the forest floor. Ari clambered speedily down the tree.
"Eevee, I choose you!" Ari beckoned Eevee foward. The Evolution Pokémon bounced off her head and used Swift.
Infuriated, Pidgeotto prepared a Razor Wind, the tips of its feathers glowing bright.
When Pidgeotto's Move was ready, Eevee playfully skipped away from the blades of air, narrowly avoiding severe damage. Before she could respond, there was a flurry of movement. A net, launched from a gap in the trees, ensnared Eevee. She flailed, but couldn't break free.
Ari turned around, and wasn't totally surprised at what she found. "Team Rocket."

"To protect the world from devestation," said Jessie.
"To unite all peoples within our nation," James announced.
"To denounce the evils of truth and love."
"To extend our reach to the stars above!"
"Jessie!"
"James!"
"Team Rocket blasts off at the speed of light."
"Surrender now, or prepare to fight."
Meowth jumped into view, carrying the net launcher. "Meowth, that's right!"
"Is it always going to be the same old song and dance with you three?" Ari asked.
"Hey, at least we have something going for us!" Yelled Jessie. "You're just a newbie Trainer in need of some serious attitude adjustment!"
"Said the obvious egomaniac."
"We're looking for the rarest, most powerful Pokémon in the world, kid," James said.
"Your special Eevee is just the kind of Pokémon Team Rocket needs," added Jessie.
"So just give it up, and we'll spare you some heartache." Meowth said.
"In your dreams." Ari gave the trio a menacing glare. "Leave Eevee alone, or I'll make your day a nightmare."
"With what, that Caterpie?" Jessie laughed.
"My own bare hands, if I have to."
Meowth rubbed his jaw, not anxious for another helping of Ari.

Misty entered the clearing, clutching her side. Her pink face darkned to red at the sight of Team Rocket. "What are you three doing here?"
James opened his mouth, but Meowth stopped him. "We're not giving the speech again," the Pokémon complained. "Let's just grab Eevee and scram."
Jessie snatched up the net, but Ari stole it back with Caterpie's String Shot.
Jessie and James unleashed Ekans and Koffing from their Poké Balls.
"Two against one is hardly fair!" Misty complained.
"Misty, they're Pokémon thieves," Ari said. "I doubt they have the brain capacity to read the rulebook."
"I would help... but teaming with a slimy worm would be a new low," Misty remarked.
"Are you talking about Caterpie or me?"
"Ekans, Bite," commanded Jessie.
Ekans caught Caterpie in it's jaws. The Worm Pokémon managed to break free, but was instantly struck by Koffing's poisonous Smog. Caterpie spluttered, and his Tackle did little but push Koffing back.
Ekans burrowed underground with Dig. Caterpie dodged Koffing's Sludge with a short hop, but Ekans emerged right underneath him.
A shaking Caterpie landed at Ari's feet.
"Caterpie, you have to get up," Ari urged. "Eevee and I, we believe in you. Even if nobody else does!"
Caterpie's eyes shot open. With renewed courage, he ensnared Koffing in his String Shot upon Ari's enstruction, then smashed Koffing into Ekans. Both Pokémon collapsed.
"Not again," James cursed.
Misty pulled Eevee free from the net. The Evolution Pokémon let loose a powerful Swift, sending Team Rocket blasting off, just like before.
Ari hoped they wouldn't bother her again for a while.

Eevee lovingly rubbed her head against Caterpie, while Ari affectionately patted him. The Bug-type Pokémon blushed heavily.
"You did great, Caterpie," Ari assured him. "Team Rocket didn't know what hit them."
Caterpie glowed with happiness - then he actually was glowing, engulfed in a burning blue aura.
Ari and Eevee backed away, mouths hanging open.
"Caterpie's Evolving," inputed Misty.
Ari watched, amazed, as Caterpie's body expanded and hardened. When the light cleared, she was looking at a Metapod with a tough green shell.
Metapod, the Cocoon Pokémon, said the Pokédex. A Bug-type. It has encased its body in a hard shell to protect from damage.
"My first Evolution," Ari realised in astonishment, "and you're a step closer to becoming a Butterfree."
Metapod jumped in place, estatic beneath his subdued exterior. He shuffled over to Misty. Although certainly not pleased, she didn't freak out like earlier, only taking an uneasy step back when Metapod got too close.
"I thought you two were about to become friends for a second there," said Ari.
"I just want to get out of this forest!" Misty flinched as a Beedrill darted past behind her.
"Why, so you can buy some bug spray?"
"Ha-ha, Ari."
Ari picked up her new Metapod and continued through the forest towards Pewter City, her sights set on the first Gym Battle of her life.