A Cave Conspiracy

"Pokémon Smugglers?" Ari repeated.
Officer Jenny nodded. "I'm putting the alert out to every Trainer in Cerulean City. Pokémon are disappearing and people could get hurt."
Ari couldn't tell if Misty or Brock was more devestated. Misty was a Cerulean City Gym Leader, and her home was being messed with. Brock had spent all day with Jenny trying to land a date, but she was preoccupied by the Pokémon Smugglers.
The three downcast Trainers sat around the Cerulean Fountain. Eevee drew closer to Ari.
"Don't worry, girl. I won't let anybody hurt you." Ari scratched Eevee behind the ears. "Officer Jenny didn't happen to mention where these smugglers operated from, Brock?"
"The police think the most likely option is a place called Cerulean Cave, across the river. She told me it's difficult to navigate, houses dangerous Wild Pokémon, and they don't have any proof. You'd have to be bold to set up base there," said Brock.
In other words, it's perfect, Ari thought, remembering her mother's teachings.
"Ari, don't," Misty said abruptly.
"I literally haven't done anything. Do you have a problem with me breathing?"
"I'm starting to. What I was going to say was that you shouldn't go after these smugglers."
She's onto me, Ari panicked. "Who said anything about going after them?"
"You didn't have to say anything. It's just the kind of reckless thing you'd do. I really don't fancy having to save your neck today."
"Misty has a point," said Brock. "We should leave the smugglers to wonderful, dedicated people like Officer Jenny."
"Get over her, Romeo, she's married to her job," Misty said. "Ari, I don't want to tell you again."
"You won't have to," Ari promised. Because you won't even know I'm gone.

That night, Ari waited until Misty and Brock were soundly asleep in their shared hotel room. Imploring Eevee to be quiet, Ari crept over to Misty's bedside. There was a problem she had to overcome - the river keeping her from Cerulean Cave. She didn't think it was wise to swim across, and, besides, her soaking clothes and the river's smell would be a dead giveaway. Ari had a solution; to 'borrow' Misty's Starmie.
"This is what you get for keeping secrets from me," Ari whispered spitefully. She was determined to hate Misty for holding out on her. The Gym Leader could've solved several tricky situations with her powerful Starmie. The only explanation that occured to Ari was that Misty wanted to see her suffer.
Ari left the hotel as quietly as possible, released Starmie from its Poké Ball, and convinced it to ferry her across the river. Only when Ari had recalled Starmie did she acknowledge her nerves. She was doing something her mother did almost weekly; that was quite a lot to live up to.

The cave had dark, cobalt walls and a dreary ceiling. The steady streams of water shooting past her feet were like dribbles of metalic paint. Wild Parasect skulked in the gloom.
Eevee was spooked when several Golbat raced overhead. Following a hunch, Ari went in the direction the Golbat had came from, eventually finding a section of the cave that was certainly unatural. The walls had been hollowed out and installed with iron bars to create at least a hundred cramped Pokémon cages. Among the captured Pokémon, Ari recognised species such as Spearow, Paras, Pikachu, Staryu, Bellsprout, Seel, Geodude, Nidoran, and - much to her indignation - Butterfree, Clefairy, and a single Eevee. The Pokémon's distress was obvious.
What infuriated Ari even more was her discovery of the culprits. Team Rocket. Not the trio she was familiar with, but a collection of Grunts in black uniforms. They appeared more competent and focused than Jessie, James, and Meowth, though Ari believed anybody adorning the organisation's insignia must've taken a few serious hits to the head.
There were five members of Team Rocket. They banged their fists against the cages to quiet roudy Pokémon, or else fiddled with stolen goods.

As one Grunt crossed the cave, Ari saw a vine snake across the ground, and trip him. The man looked around wildly, not seeing the vine speedily retreat behind a nearby rock. Ari and Eevee weren't the only ones observing the scene. By adjusting her angle, Ari could see a Bulbasaur lurking behind the rock.
Ari locked eyes with Bulbasaur. The little Pokémon glared at Ari, almost challenging her. Bulbasaur's intense gaze was hardened, even loathful. He clearly held contempt for humans. Ari could recognise that Bulbasaur was trying to calculate how she would threaten him. Bulbasaur forced his eyes back onto Team Rocket's activities, and Ari understood; he was here to free the smuggled Pokémon. He wouldn't harm her unless she presented a direct threat.
Unfortunately, Eevee wanted to greet Bulbasaur. Ari had to hold her Pokémon back; Bulbasaur, spooked by the commotion, fired his Razor Leaf in Ari and Eevee's direction.
The Grunts heard the leaves fire. "What was that?" One asked.
The man Bulbasaur had attacked earlier neared Bulbasaur's hiding place. The Seed Pokémon revealed himself, knocking the Rocket Grunt away with another Razor Leaf.
The Grunt drew a Poké Ball. "Want to join our collection, runt?" He sent out a Drowzee. Ari watched as Drowzee aimed Psywave directly at Bulbasaur.