Battle Aboard the St. Anne

Ari was enjoying the warm weather at Vermillion City Port. Misty insisted on showing them a cruise ship named the St. Anne.
At the time, Ari had thought, whatever floats your boat. Now that she saw the St. Anne... it had a glossy hull and a spacious deck. Surely, it would attract a range of interesting people - Ari couldn't suppress a smile at the thought of exotic, powerful Pokémon.
"I'd love to travel on a ship like that," Ari marvelled.
Brock burst Ari and Misty's bubbles. "We could never afford a cruise like that."
"How could you ruin this for me? It's been my dream for-,"
"-All of ten minutes." Misty finished for Ari. Yet Ari could see Misty's disappointment.

A voice said. "Congratulations!"
Ari, Misty, and Brock turned around to find two tanned women.
"You guys are so lucky. You get to go on a deluxe cruise!" Squealed one girl.
Ari narrowed her eyes. "What?"
"We have these tickets for the party on the St. Anne!" Explained the other. "It's only for Pokémon Trainers."
"Why are you giving them away?" Ari asked.
"I was going to take my boyfriend, but he dumped me, so I don't want to party."
"We overheard you, and decided these tickets shouldn't go to waste!" Added her friend.
Misty scrutinised the tickets. "These do seem real."
Ari took them. "Thanks a lot!"
"No sweat!" Assured one of the girls.
Ari, Misty and Brock departed for the luxurious St. Anne.

The two girls, in actuality Jessie and James, watched the young Trainers leave.
"We got them!" Jessie celebrated.
"Don't I make the coolest girl?" James added in falsetto.
Jessie slapped him. "You are insulting my femininity."
The duo arrived at an abandoned lighthouse, where Meowth had set up a large screen.
"We got a call from the boss," Meowth announced. He pressed a button, and the call from Rocket HQ connected. Rocket Boss Giovanni appeared; even the shadows seemed to submit to him, masking his features ominously. One could practically see the cost of his fine orange suit.
Jessie, James, and Meowth bowed.
"So, the team is all here," Giovanni remarked.
A Persian strolled into view, nuzzling nuzzling Giovanni's leg before settling on his lap.
Meowth loathed what he was seeing. "What's with the Persian?" He detested his Evolved form... stuck up, lazy, and nothing like a hard working Meowth. "Ain't I your favourite anymore?"
Giovanni scoffed. "I'm disgusted by your failures. I expect perfection. Persian fits the bill. If you want to please me, you can help ensure the success of Operation R."
Operation R - the top-secret Team Rocket plan years in the making. All Jessie, James, and Meowth knew was that the plan's success hinged on Team Rocket having a large quantity of powerful, trained Pokémon. Giovanni had discouraged Catching Wild Pokémon in favour of doubling stealing efforts. It seemed he planned to create a Pokémon army.
"Have you handed out all the St. Anne tickets?"
"The Trainers were delighted to take them," Jessie smiled.
"My men have already secretly boarded the ship. On my signal, you will take the Pokémon from all the Trainers aboard. Failure is out of the question."
"Yes, sir!" Responded the Trio.
Giovanni ended the call. Scratching Persian behind the ears, he entered a room only he could access. The only light was the dim glow of the test tube that kept the Legendary Pokémon restrained inside.
As Giovanni placed his hand on the glass, he pictured his plan coming into fruition, watching the dormant armored Pokémon wistfully. His ultimate weapon - all the power in Kanto, and then in the world, would surely be his someday. He just needed an army.

Ari recognised that St. Anne's interior was glamorous and refined, but what excited her even more than the sophisticated atmosphere were the battlefields. With Trainers ripe for the picking, Ari quickly found herself opposite a sailor and his Shellder.
"Use Aurora Beam!" The sailor ordered. Shellder fired a rainbow-coloured beam at Ari's Squirtle, who dodged and responded with Bite. Squirtle withstood Shellder's Clamp via Withdraw before finishing the Battle with a deciding Mega Kick.
Squirtle heckled the sailor before playfully spraying Ari and Eevee with Water Gun. Ari returned Squirtle as onlookers clapped politely.