Electric Shock Showdown

Vermillion City was a sprawling oceanside metropolis, with a developed port and plenty of skyscrapers. After staying the night in the local Pokèmon Center, Ari dashed through the streets, Eevee basking in the sun atop her head.
"Ari, slow down!" Brock called, as they passed a school.
"Why are you in such a hurry? Your next loss can wait," Misty said.
Although she could hardly stand still, Ari waited for her companions. "Keep dreaming, Misty. Soon, you'll be looking at a Trainer with three Gym Badges."
"Or, you could turn around and see that sweet sight a little sooner," came a drawing voice from behind Ari.
Of course. Gary Oak.
"What are you doing here?" Ari clenched her fists.
Gary regarded Ari condescendingly. "Do I need to spell it out for you? I've won my Gym Badge." Gary presented not only his Boulder and Cascade Badges, but also a yellow Badge. "This is the longest look you'll ever get at the Thunder Badge."
"I'll wipe that smirk off your face!" Ari declared. She threw a Poké Ball, releasing Squirtle. The Tiny Turtle Pokémon leered at Gary. "Let's settle who's really better, with a Pokémon Battle!"
Gary waved her off. "I'm not wasting more time here. If you want proof of how outclassed you are, just go the Pokémon Gym."
Squirtle sprayed Gary with Water Gun. If Gary was bothered, he didn't show it.
"You call that a Water Gun? That is a sorry excuse for a Squirtle, and I doubt your Eevee is much better. I'm getting out of here. Smell you later."
Gary strode away. Ari's heart was pounding. She'd show Gary he wasn't the only one who could earn a Thunder Badge.
Without hesitation, Ari returned Squirtle, and ran towards the Gym so fast that Eevee had to hold on tight.
"What did we just say about slowing down?" Misty complained, following after Ari with Brock.

The Vermillion Gym was brightly lit, with red bleachers to observe the dirt field.
Impatient, Ari ran into the Gym.
"Boss, there's another victim for the emergency room!" A Gym Trainer immediately shouted.
A hulking, intimidating man, tanned and blond, dressed smartly in an army uniform, revealed himself. "Welcome to the Vermillion Gym! You're a cute one."
Ari wouldn't have believed she could get more riled up. "I'm Ari from Pallet Town, and I am going to win your Badge!'
"Okay, baby. I'm Lt. Surge. I've left entire teams in ruin, crying for Nurse Joy." Surge strode foward, showcasing his impressive muscles. He noticed Eevee cowering on Ari's head. "The baby brought a baby Pokémon."
"Quit making fun of my Pokémon!" Ari snarled. Brock and Misty edged discreetly towards the stands, avoiding the dispute.
"Your Pokémon isn't even Evolved," Lt. Surge noted. He returned to his side of the field. "I'll show you why your Pokèmon are babies."
A Pikachu appeared from Lt. Surge's Poké Ball.
"My Pokémon are not to be mocked. Go, Clefairy!" Ari had one reason for selecting Clefairy - to show Misty the Fairy Pokémon was on the level of Gym Leaders. Clefairy waved her arms, visibly cheerful, while Pikachu only glared.
"Two Pokémon each," Lt. Surge explained. "That's enough for me to show you babies how the world works. Battle, begin!"

"Pikachu, Slam!"
Ari was taken aback by Surge instantly stealing the first move. Pikachu pushed Clefairy to the ground with his tail.
Ari's Clefairy, cheerful as ever, sprang back up, happily awaiting her Trainer's orders.
"We'll show him, Clefairy! Use Double Slap!" Ari called.
"Cleff!" Clefairy cheerfully slapped Pikachu's pudgy face multiple times. As Pikachu flinched, electricity travelled up his body, and into Clefairy. Clefairy shuddered, unable to raise her arms.
"That's Pikachu's Static Ability," Brock identified. "It can Paralyze an attacker if they make physical contact."
Pikachu knocked Clefairy away with a forceful Take Down.
"Such a puny Pokèmon could never defeat a soldier," Surge said, throwing back his head and laughing mirthlessly.
"Puny?" Ari repeated. "Clefairy, Disarming Voice!"
But Clefairy was caught in Paralysis, unable to act. Pikachu attacked with Thunder Shock, knocking Clefairy out cold.

Ari was in shock. It had been so quick. She was not the type to go down without a fight, but Surge wasn't even letting her start one.
"This is what happens when you play with the big boys," Surge said. "Ready to run away crying?"
"Not a chance," Ari responded. She stroked Eevee atop her head. The Evolution Pokèmon, as her first partner, was the backbone of her team... her best friend among Pokèmon. Ari knew she could depend upon Eevee.
But she hesitated.
Ari's memories of her Battle with Brock intruded - how she had forfitted, not once, but twice, because she couldn't stand the sight of watching Eevee get hurt.
She couldn't afford to show weakness like that again. If that meant leaving Eevee on the sidelines, where the Evolution Pokémon would be safe, then so be it.
Ari recalled Clefairy. Screwing her courage to her sticking place, she selected Bulbasaur to oppose Pikachu.
"I thought she was going to use Eevee," Misty said.
"Grass-type Pokèmon resist Electric-type Moves," Brock reminded Misty. "I'm sure Ari has a strategy of her own."
Bulbasaur gritted his teeth, poised for Battle.
Lt. Surge glowered down at Bulbasaur. "All your Pokèmon are novices! I have better things to do with my time than take on pint-sized half-bakes!"
"Oh, I'm worth your time." Ari forced a smile. "Use Vine Whip, Bulbasaur!"
"Sa-aur!" Bulbasaur's vines rushed towards Pikachu. When the vines pushed Pikachu, the Mouse Pokèmon sent a Thunder Shock down them, mildly electrocuting Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur toughed it out, wrapping his vines around Pikachu. Pikachu couldn't escape the following Razor Leaf, finally going down.

Lt. Surge didn't react as Pikachu returned to his Poké Ball. He only spoke up when he drew another Poké Ball.
"It's pretty gutsy, for a toy," he said. "I enjoy playing with toys, but playtime over. Go, Poké Ball!"
A bulky, orange Pokèmon with a lengthy, swishing tail appeared on the field, an electric current coiling around its body.
Ari scanned Surge's selection with her Pokédex. Raichu, the Mouse Pokémon. An Electric-type, and the Evolved form of Pikachu. Its long tail serves as a ground to protect itself from its own high voltage power.
"Raichu, huh? Bulbasaur, Tackle!"
Bulbasaur stormed foward, his eyes housing great determination. Raichu snickered, unimpressed by the effort. Raichu used Mega Kick to lauch Bulbasaur away. The Seed Pokèmon landed roughly at Ari's feet.
"Bulba...basaur," he groaned.
"Bulbasaur, get up," Ari begged.
Slowly, Bulbasaur stood. He used Razor Leaf, but Raichu's Thunderbolt fried the leaves entirely.
Ari convinced herself she could win. Her Bulbasaur could overpower Raichu, if they tried hard enough. "Another Razor Leaf!"
The same thing happened again.
Surge was growing bored. "Give us the big finale, Raichu!"
"Rai-CHU!" Raichu's Thunderbolt cut through the air. When the flashing lights faded, Bulbasaur was unconcious and burnt.
"Bulbasaur!" Ari scooped Bulbasaur up in her arms, hurridly placing him back in his Poké Ball.
Ari ignored anything Surge might have wanted to say to her. She left without a word, rushing her Pokèmon to the Pokémon Center.

According to Nurse Joy, Clefairy would recover quickly, but Bulbasaur's wounds were more severe - he would have to stay the night.
Ari paced back and forth in the waiting room, Brock, Misty, and Eevee seated nearby.
Brock knew better than to discuss the Battle when the loss was so fresh. He settled for simply reassuring Ari, which meant more to her than she was ready to admit.
Misty tried to be kind. "You'll get him next time, Ari."
Shame was building in Ari like an overflowing river, but Misty's insensitive comment was what burst the dam. "How can you say that? You've been rooting for me to fail the entire time!"
"Ari-,"
"I don't want to hear it!" Ari stormed off. She slammed the door behind her, cutting Eevee off from following.
In the room, Bulbasaur slept peacefully, recovering from his injuries.
Ari fought down tears, sliding down the wall and covering her face.
Don't cry, she told herself. You are the daughter of an interpol agent. You cannot let your mother down. You definitely can't let your Pokèmon down.
Not again.
But that was all Ari did. She was a good for nothing Trainer - and she knew it.
Surge was the nail in the coffin. She would've given up - but being a quitter was the most disgraceful act Ari could think of.
She would not let Surge be the nail in her coffin. She would not be a failure.
But for the first time since her Journey started, Ari didn't think she was successful, either.
So she sank to the floor, trapped in a horrible limbo between hope and despair.