Lance, the Dragon Master!

"Welcome to the Clashing Craters," Brock said, presenting the valley slithering out before them with a flourish.
"How did it get that name?" Misty enquired.
"It was struck by many small meteor strikes. Apparently, it looked like a battle happening in the cosmos. The impact craters are so close, its like the meteors were trying to strike each other."
"What if those were Battling Pokémon?" Ari pondered, racing to examine the craters. "They say Clefairy came from space. And Starmie too, right? What if there are others?"
"Watch the pothole, Ari," said Brock.
Ari cursed as she stepped aside. "That'll teach me not to walk backwards."
"I thought you only moved backwards," Misty remarked.
Ari playfully punched her. "Watch it, fishlips." She drew a Poké Ball. "I suppose we should consult the experts."
Ari summoned Clefable, whilst Misty's Starmie had stayed out the ball for hours.
"What do you two think? Is this place extraterrestial?"
Clefable's face scrunched up in thought. Starmie's core rapidly flashed.
"That's morse code! We... have... no... idea," Ari translated. "Helpful."
"Starmie knows morse code?" Said Misty.
"Maybe it's aliens communicating through Starmie," suggested Brock.
"Is there a tinfoil hat in that bag?" Misty said.
"Shh! Starmie's talking," Ari hissed. "Watch... out... for... the... tuna? What does that mean-,"
She got her answer; a man carrying a Dewgong under his arms barrelled past them.
"Don't go that way! That Trainer is a monster!" He carried on without any further explanation, his battered Dewgong waving goodbye.
"Woah. That was like an out of context clip," Misty said.
Ari grinned. "Looks like some Trainer gave him a run for his money-,"
"His Dewgong was in pretty bad shape," Brock said. "I think that was supposed to be a warning, Ari-,"
"Well, I never learnt to listen. This is the fastest way to Saffron City, and if I have a Battle on the way, I'll be hitting two birds with one Rock Slide!"
"That is how Rock Slide works."
"What do you say, girls? Ready for adventure?" Ari asked her Pokémon.
"Vee!" Eevee affirmed, whilst Clefable nodded enthusiastically.

"Look at these cave paintings!" Brock dragged Ari and Misty towards the art. "I think it depicts the meteor strike."
"Are those explosions?" Ari asked, tracing her finger the bottom of the image, where small domes erupted from the ground.
"They look like bubbles to me," Misty said. "Bubbles protecting the ground from meteor strikes. The impact sites are so close because the meteors bounced off those bubbles? But... what Water Pokémon could make bubbles that strong?"
Ari said, "You want that Pokémon, don't you?"
"More than anything."
"It wasn't a Water-type Pokémon at all," a voice boomed.
Ari, Misty, and Brock turned around to face a hooded figure, cape fluttering in a conveniently-timed breeze. They slid down the face of the cliff and came to stand coolly besides our heroes.
"Personal space," Misty whimpered.
"The protective bubbles were the work of the mythical Pokémon Mew," the figure breathed.
"How do you know?" Misty asked.
The figure casually pulled down his hood, revealing sharp features, spiky carmine hair, and eyes browner than the rock they observed. "I am Lance, of the Elite Four." He shook hands with each of them. "My mission is to document information on Mew. Sightings suggest its revisited this area."
"If its been sighted, how is it a Mythical Pokémon?" Brock asked.
"Glimpse of Mew are fleeting. One can never be sure of what they've seen. Unlike Legendary Pokémon, Mythical Pokémon are scarcely documented in recorded history... it's difficult to verify their existence, let alone their nature. All that is truly known of Mew is that it is pink, playful, and, above all, kind."
"Why can't they send some researcher to do it?" Ari asked. "You're part of the Elite Four - the reason even the strongest Trainers don't manage to fight the Champion! I- I almost can't believe I' meeting you, Lance. I've been watching your Dragon-type Pokémon for years! No wonder that Dewgong got deep-fried."
Lance smiled. "I believe Mew will respond to Battle. Whether out of concern for the wounded or childish excitement remains to be seen. I've been challenging every Trainer who passes through, but the Battles have been... unfufilling. As thrilling as a Battle against Gym Leaders would be," he winked at Brock and Misty, "I always enjoy giving up-and-coming Trainers a chance."
Ari's jaw dropped. "You really want to Battle me?"
"I know talent when I see it. An unofficial three-on-three?"
"Gladly," Ari beamed.